1947 Honda A-Type

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Wanderin' around looking for old bikes this surprised me, outa nowhere this pic pops up and I wuz edjumacated :D

The Honda A-Type, Honda’s First Product on the Market (1947)

"The first product to carry the Honda name was this Honda A-Type auxiliary bicycle engine. With a view to achieving mass production, the company started manufacturing the engine parts by die casting. (Photograph by courtesy of Honda Collection Hall)"

Honda Worldwide | History

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I wonder if anybody has revisited the concept of the Stovepipe engine Honda tried before he went for conventional engineering?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
much like their battleships and bicycles the japanese copied the british and of course howard hughes fighter plane that we rejected. dang baird, it took a few years, must be global warming ''the earth has a fever'' and 2 smokes!

Red

May 16, 2013
Eagle Rock, CA
3step you are really liking to have one. It is a really interesting bike and who would of though they would come up with something like that so fast.

3step

Jul 20, 2013
Roanoke,VA
Thanks for the challenge!

I bet I could find one, but I need it like I need another hole in the head, lol.
If you, or anyone, can find one for sale, please let me know. I have looked all over the internet, checked with antique motorcycle collectors (both here in the US and overseas), even tried on Japanese websites. I have found two that were restored in Japan and the three that come up from Google (Honda Collection Hall Museum). I can't find a value on this thing because none have sold or are for sale.

3step

Jul 20, 2013
Roanoke,VA
That is AWESOME! I spotted it on here about 4 years ago http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/gallery/galindex.html Been druling ever seince...............Curt
That photo is the one in HCH (Honda Collection Hall). I have studied those photos numerous times and I think they have "newer bicycles" that the motors are mounted in. I was going to settle on a Phoenix Flying Pigeon bicycle(Chinese made), when the one I found showed up during the search. I was so glad I found the Ginko. I felt like that motor deserved a vintage Japanese bicycle.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
If you, or anyone, can find one for sale, please let me know. I have looked all over the internet, checked with antique motorcycle collectors (both here in the US and overseas), even tried on Japanese websites. I have found two that were restored in Japan and the three that come up from Google (Honda Collection Hall Museum). I can't find a value on this thing because none have sold or are for sale.
If I ever come across one, I'll keep you posted, 3step.