Cherry Bomb

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
I don't normally name builds but this time I have a bike that everybody seemed to agree "Cherry Bomb" fit. My wife named it after finding out the color is cherry red. This bike started life as a Bonneville Flyer race frame, then took the path towards cruiser. If you look close it has the boardie seat tabs and steering stabilizer. It could easily be converted to full SCTA race specification. Harley style forks, Friction shock, Indian style tank, Pirelli "H" rated motorcycle tires, and a pretty pumped GX200 with electric starter and charging system. Fenders are basically a Triumph style with center rib and duck tail. Cruiser builds are so much fun. Comfy laid back riding style, lots of power, and those tires handle beautifully.

Bonneville Cruiser by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
Beautiful build as always Pat!

Do you feel that the cooling fan and shroud is necessary to keep the motor cool? I am working on a stretched Simplex with a GS190 motor, and to look more Simplex like, removed the shroud and made an aluminum flywheel cover. I would like to build a flathead kit to cover the valve cover, but haven't had time yet. I don't have many miles on it yet, but overheating doesn't seem to be a problem. I certainly would not sit idling for long periods of time though.

Attachments

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Rick,
I have never had a cooling problem with these engines. This bike has a cast iron flywheel with ring gear and charging magnet and coil. Guard is there to act as a guard. Just trying to keep my toes attached to my feet.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Very nice build Pat. (as always) Gives me inspiration to get to work on a couple of my builds. Thanks for the pic's.

Last edited:

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Beautiful bike, someday I hope I can build a bike with that level of quality and detail.

Edit: is that a stabilizer on the right side of the bike? Just under the tank.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Beautiful bike, someday I hope I can build a bike with that level of quality and detail.

Edit: is that a stabilizer on the right side of the bike? Just under the tank.
Yep, that is a stabilizer. Not needed on the bike but this is one of my SCTA race frames and they require it. SCTA is the Southern California Timing Association.