how much Wt.

GoldenMotor.com

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Lighter is better.
The longer and the heavier it is the more likely you should make mounts to the bicycle frame.

Steve

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
very good then, just finished with a different configuration and got the weight down to a
lil' over 2lbs.
from what i have read i'd strap it even if it did not need it.
just curious on Wt. i have been weighing any and all parts as i go along so as i scratch
build to make stronger and lighter.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Assuming you're talking about a Chinese 2 stroke, in-frame application, you'll want to consider that unless supported elsewhere, the pipe and muffler are only held on by those two little 6mm fasteners at the cylinder. A support or clamp is important even when using the stock kit supplied exhaust system. Any added weight or length will require something to keep the stress off the engine attach point.

Tom

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I would guess the stock pipe is about 2 pounds. Since you have the tools to rig up your own exhaust then definitely put some kind of brace on it to the frame. If I had the equipment I'd be welding a tab on the frame and the muffler.

Those little studs take a beating from vibration. My current engine runs pretty smooth but it only took a couple of months to break the stock muffler strap and crack the weld at the muffler header pipe connection.

Also, just a thought, if you can aim your muffler towards the rear it will seem a bit quieter for you. The stock set up is almost straight down and the exhaust note bounces right back at the rider.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Using a strap or welding a mount also cuts down on a lot of vibration.

I'd say a fair guess is that 99% of the people who've ride have had an exhaust fall off.

The other one percent quit, broke something else, or sold the bike before the exhaust had a chance to fall off.

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
I like the pocketbike pipe called "Pro-Jet Pipe" it gives the motor a great increase in mid range and top end power... and it comes with a tab welded on the side of it, just before the muffler portion so you can support it by the frame/ seatpost
the site says the photo needs to be resized and im terrible with this bs soo just google it lol