Better Way To Mount Sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

oceanotter

Aug 22, 2015
Louisiana
Greetings!

Does anyone know of a better way to mount a sprocket on the back wheel? I always figured the rubber gasket was kinda flawed as it would ruin the spokes eventually if not kept true. Anyone have any solutions?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... check out the Manic Mechanic hub adapters, they clamp around the hub instead of on the spokes, real easy to set chain alignment and change sprockets too as the sprockets don't contact the spokes and are mounted by 3 bolts.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
They're real easy to install as the party that goes on the hub is split so you just maneuver the pieces thru the spokes and onto the hub and 2 allen bolts secures it in place. There are other methods to mount a sprocket without the rag joint from the kit but this is one of the easiest, and is the most solid and rigid, not to mention there are sprockets available in just about any size you can think of... I've seen them with as few as 28 teeth all the way up to 60 teeth so you can mount on a 20" rim just as easy as on a 29er.

Other really solid and easy methods used are by using a front rim set with a disc brake hub and bolting the sprocket onto a hat adapter, and if you can find a rear rim with a disc brake hub there are adapters to bolt the sprocket right onto the hub as well as keeping the rear disc brake functional. Also flip flop hubs found on some fixie rims work well because one can drill thru the fixed cog and bolt the sprocket directly onto the cog. I welded a sprocket to the cog on my road bike and it worked out really well.

There are more adapters and methods on that page I posted earlier if you follow the links, but there are even more methods posted in here and on other aftermarket sites, the only one I would advise to steer clear of is one called the pineapple adapter as it only fits one hub size and if you don't have a rear rim with that exact hub diameter and spoke pitch it won't fit, but it also drives the spokes just like the rag joint but without any cushioning. I bought one of these just to see what it was and out of about 6 or 7 rims I tried it on it only fit one, and it really distorts the spokes as it gets tightened down. I knew better when I bought that one but I got it really cheap and had to see if it was even a viable option but by test fitting it on several rims it confirmed my suspicions.

Last edited:

oceanotter

Aug 22, 2015
Louisiana
OHHH so it's a two piece!! That's never so apparent in the photos I keep seeing! That makes things much easier. I think I can work this out. I've been wanting one on my next build as I figured it would be much better to have on stock or reinforced tires.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Make sure you measure the hub circumference and diameter of your wheel hub. The ones from Jake's and Manic Mechanic are designed to work on cruiser hubs of 1.5 inch diameter. If you have a speed hub with a smaller diameter you will have to get a different adapter. The only one I have found that fits speed hubs is THIS ONE. It will work on 1.19" diameter hubs and it comes with shims so you can use it on even smaller hubs. They sell sprockets that fit it but you can get cheap ones from BoyGoesFast on e-bay for $15 HERE

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yes... measure before purchasing, there are more than a few different hub sizes and you need the right adapter according to your hub size. Easiest way to measure the hub is with a dial or digital caliper.