New 7 speed manic hub advice please!!

GoldenMotor.com

dan2015

Feb 18, 2015
Illinois
7 speed firmstrong bike with manic hub advice needed!!

i am buying a firmstrong bruiser 7 speed cruiser and was wondering,....go with the stock 4-stroke 7g's kit sprocket bolt on to spoke method, or would you guys recomend a manic hub setup? If i go with the manic hub, "will it fit onto this hub which is the one with a 7 speed derailer setup? This is my very first build, havent bought anything yet until i get the best advise. I am new on this site also, so hello to all!! Any help on this, and about this peticular firmstrong bike and engine setup will be sooooo appreciated!!!

Last edited:

2Stroken

Jun 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
Re: 7 speed firmstrong bike with manic hub advice needed!!

i am buying a firmstrong bruiser 7 speed cruiser and was wondering,....go with the stock 4-stroke 7g's kit sprocket bolt on to spoke method, or would you guys recomend a manic hub setup? If i go with the manic hub, "will it fit onto this hub which is the one with a 7 speed derailer setup? This is my very first build, havent bought anything yet until i get the best advise. I am new on this site also, so hello to all!! Any help on this, and about this peticular firmstrong bike and engine setup will be sooooo appreciated!!!
You need to measure the outside diameter of your wheel hub to see if the adapter will fit. Some people make adapters for them. Here is a link to my single speed Bruiser. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=581475#post581475

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
I have a Micargi 7 speed cruiser with a rear hub that measures .988" on the O.D. & I have yet to find a hub kit to fit anything quite this small. I'll bet if you purchase an engine kit with the 'spoke-sandwich' set-up, you will become dissatisfied and eventually want an adapter for that hub. Your best bet may be to shop for your ride carrying a set of calipers.

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
By golly, for those sort of prices I'll bet if I have to I can fabricate shims that will compensate for a few thousands of an inch. That is an interesting post, although that clunker of mine isn't up to handling a 36 tooth sprocket quite yet.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
They have different sprockets. Just go to the site and check the sprocket section. This should work fine with no shims. My hub measures .995 and there is still a small gap on the clamp of a several thou. This is a very nice quality product at a good $$.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Sale price is 45.00 now! Sounds about as cheap as it gets? As far as I can tell looks like a killer deal!

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
I've gone ahead & ordered a King's 1" adapter with the 44t sprocket, and since a few more bucks on the order would qualify me for free shipping and I was already looking at other carburetors, I chose a plain NT with a nice jet selection.
Now, I wait for that free shipping - probably arrive along with the Easter bunny. ;)

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah I did the same with the $60 free shipping. I got a new muffler for only $4 more. You will like the adapter/sprocket it good quality. If you want to move up to a 36t later let me know, I went to a 32t and didn't use the 36. Make you a deal.

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
Pete, you need to measure that rear hub O.D. to be sure, but I have a suspicion many manufacturers have the same sources for certain parts. If you don't have your own calipers, borrow a set, or even a 1-2" micrometer will do the trick if you can wiggle it between those spokes & hold it in position.
Once you're sure of your size you can choose the correct adapter for your hub.