Frame spreader tool idea.

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Feel free to move this if I've gotten it wrong. When I think chains, I think clearance.

This gadget popped into my head today. I'd think it would be pretty easy to fab up.

The ends are pipe, cut lengthwise. One is fixed to the end of a threaded rod, the other, the end of a threaded pipe. The nut on the threaded rod is free, and presses against the big washer to its right, which is fixed, like the nut on the threaded tube. Wrench-widen, wrench-widen...

Any suggestions on bettering the design?

Attachments

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The problem is spreading the rear dropouts needs to be equal on both sides.
When one side is fixed and the other side spreads, it tends to just move the adjustment side.

If both sides could spread you could do one turn on one side, then another turn on the other side.

That won't be perfect either but close enough for MB use I'd think.
We just use a small jack and flip the frame over a couple times while we spread it to give each side equal fixed spots.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
I'm thinking that I will hang the bike on my lift, and use this, and that would let it expand equally. Possibly adding a ratchet strap at the rear, to create a slight bow.
I'm sick of the jack, flip, jack process:)

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Oh....one other thing.

Just take an axle out of a wheel that you're not using. Bolt it into the dropouts of the frame you're spreading.

This gives you that 'bow' you're looking for and keeps the dropouts at the right distance from each other to accept your wheel.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's one I threw together in about 10 min. It's just a 1/4" aluminum turn-buckle with a couple of roughly made 'U' shaped things on the ends of the threaded sections.

I have to disagree with KC in that the frame won't spread evenly. I've never had that problem.

Tom

Attachments

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Oh....one other thing.

Just take an axle out of a wheel that you're not using. Bolt it into the dropouts of the frame you're spreading.

This gives you that 'bow' you're looking for and keeps the dropouts at the right distance from each other to accept your wheel.
By way of Illinois, a fantastic solution. Thank you sir!

Tom- I promise, someday, I will think of something that you haven't already done. ;)

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I've posted this before but I'll post it again... just use a small block Chevy exhaust manifold spreader, it's already the right size and shape to do these, it's cheap and pre made...
just Google "small block Chevy exhaust manifold spreader" and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

No need to worry if on side opens more than the other, it's a bicycle not the space shuttle... and I've never had nor heard of that problem either.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I've posted this before but I'll post it again... just use a small block Chevy exhaust manifold spreader, it's already the right size and shape to do these, it's cheap and pre made...
just Google "small block Chevy exhaust manifold spreader" and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

No need to worry if on side opens more than the other, it's a bicycle not the space shuttle... and I've never had nor heard of that problem either.
Now that is a really useful looking tool :)

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Dave, it took me a little longer than I thought to look up that tool, and wow!
Just goes to show that everythings' already been thought of! I couldn't build it that cheap, and it wouldn't be as good. Thanks for the info.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I like to use the old wood clamp.Lots of area touching and it spreads stays and rear dropouts.It has plenty of control to spread both sides equally . You know the type with the 2 blocks of wood and 2 control handles. Sorry my phone won't download a picture to this site.