Tricks to rear sprocket install?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This topic has been covered probably more than any other single issue. There are pages of discussion on tricks and hints as well as comprehensive installation instructions.

I typed in 'rear sprocket installation' in our search feature and got this > http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...b=0&gsc.q=installing rear sprocket&gsc.page=1

I'll just say that chain/sprocket alignment and chain tension are critical to any roller chain drive system. Concentrate on those and you'll be good.
Good luck and good reading.

Tom

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I put mine in my homemade truing station. it makes it easy to see any in-out or back-forth action. And all ya really gotta do is just get it REAL CLOSE. And I do mean REAL CLOSE. Trying to get Chinese manufactured parts PERFECT Almost never happens. You'll know if it's close enough if yer chain stays on or jumps off. You can also use the tensioner to help the chain TRACK better on the sprocket.
Good luck,
fatdaddy.usflg

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ive found that if alignment is right even when the chain gets loose it will track just fine and stay on, I dont recommend running the chain to loose but 2door is rightly about using the search feature and FD is right about just getting it as close as possible and then the twnsioner an be tweaked to help with alignment.

I also wish you the best getting it where it needs to be.

Map

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The guys are right... get the rear sprocket runout down to under 1/16" and it shouldnt throw the chain... also be sure the sprockets are lined up to eachother as close as possible. Search rear sprocket install or adjustment for better details, there are a lot of topics on how to do this. There are also topics on how to mount a dial indicator or make a special tool for checking or measuring the runout if you want to get it precice. The tensioner can also be used to track the chain if needed, but like mentioned above, good sprocket alignment will prevent chain throws even if the chain gets loose or no tensioner is used.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Get the wheel trued first. Then mount the sprocket.
A properly trued and tension'd wheel will make sprocket alignment much easier.
Especially if one is running a rag joint drive.