pirate sprocket chain size

GoldenMotor.com

2slow

Aug 12, 2012
colorado
I bought a sprocket and hub adapter from Pirate Cycles it's a 44 tooth aluminum and the chain in my engine kit doesn't fit it very good does anybody know what size chain I need for their sprockets thanks

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Those hub adapters are a good choice. Do you know which chain came in your kit? I've had no issues running a 415 chain with that setup. I've heard that a #41 chain would also work.

A sprocket with fewer teeth will be smaller in diameter than a sprocket with more teeth. That's the reason you can use the same chain on different sprockets..

2slow

Aug 12, 2012
colorado
not sure of the size in the kit and the chain has no markings it will fit on the sprocket but at 1/2 way to 3/4 away around it starts to ride up on the teeth and not fall in between the teeth

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
not sure of the size in the kit and the chain has no markings it will fit on the sprocket but at 1/2 way to 3/4 away around it starts to ride up on the teeth and not fall in between the teeth
You need 1/2" pitch chain to fit which all of the chains below are.

Measure between the side plates on your chain.

1/8" = 410 or bicycle chain which is too narrow for your sprocket

Both of these are recommended and will fit.
3/16" = 415 chain
1/4" = 41 chain

Some kits like Skyhawks come with narrow 410 bicycle chain.
What kit brand do you have and where did you buy it from?

Does your chain fit the sprocket that came in your kit?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've seen kit supplied chain that didn't fit the drive or driven sprockets. It looked like ordinary bicycle chain. A friend brought his new engine to me to look at and he showed me the chain that came with the kit. It was way too small, width and pitch. It makes me wonder if that doesn't explain some of the chain problems we see here from new builders.

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I recommend using an american made #41 roller chain. You can find them at almost any hardware store (along with a chain breaker). It will stretch a little, like most chains do... but #41 chain is much stronger then any kit chain out there and has slightly less rolling resistance.

2slow

Aug 12, 2012
colorado
thanks for the reply's I'll try a #41 chain and see how that does nor sure of what kit I have but I got it on ebay from rose326a

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I bought a sprocket and hub adapter from Pirate Cycles it's a 44 tooth aluminum and the chain in my engine kit doesn't fit it very good does anybody know what size chain I need for their sprockets thanks
The chains that pirate sells for their sprockets is a 415. That's what I use.

Rollingstones

Apr 3, 2014
Los Angeles
Is the reason a regular bicycle chain won't fit the fact that it is not as wide?

I attempted to change the my motor chain to a KMC 1/2 x 1/8 chain and though it fit my motor sprocket. They had the same size chain but wide at the shop, if I get that will it actually fit the motor sprocket?

I have researched quite a bit about this subject but can't seem to find any information that really sinks in for me :/