Timeless Motor Company

GoldenMotor.com

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I read somewhere they don't meet emissions requirements an are considered modern machine because of the manufacture date. Vehicles have to meet emission and safety requirements for the year of manufacture. Seemed logical to me.

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
Here are the EPA regs for the US. As long as you have a 49cc you are exempt. (even in CAL but they will tell you different) Also there is an EPA 1 time personal use exemption. You can build and run anything you want just once and you can't sell it for 5 years. Heck you can build a Harley with open pipes and use that 1 time exemption. It called the "personal use exemption". Most states do require a manufaturese certificate of origin but in Oregon we also have a DMV form for "assembled vehicles" that are not any manufactured model. I used a PUCH bycycle frame, this can be used to bypass the origin cert. but you must sign another form saying that you have all required equipment and meet all NTSI and EPA requirements. SOme kits now come with a tiny catylitic converter in the muffler, mine has one, you can see where it is in the muff cuz it runs so hot it melts the cheap paint off the muffler. Works good though no smoke at all.

These 49cc motorvehicles are Exempt from EPA Emissions regulations under the Code of Federal Regulations;
Title 40, Chapter 86.407-78 Par. (b) and
Title 40, 86.401-97 Par. (b).
Therefore no EPA Certificate of Conformity is required for the registration, titling or operation of this vehicle. (for emmissions but safety equipment is required)

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I was talking about the timeless motorcycle. I can't even begin to get my head around all the laws that apply to these motorbicycles.

My plan is to register it in NH as an antique moped and see how that plays out. The girl at town hall here in maine said if it has a motor and is ridden on the road it has to be licensed and issured end of story. Restistered as what ? I dunno. I have to see what is required and most the local law enforcement that I work with in NH flat said they don't know but as long as I have a license and follow road laws they'll leave me alone.

Slimey1

Mar 10, 2014
Mt.Vernon,OH
Just curious ... is there some reason other than no lights that would keep this bike from being street legal? Anyone know how much they cost? Beautiful bike!
Do what most custom bike builders do(including me). Throw some cheap lights and turn signals on it,get it inspected,then take them off and ride. I had the same question when I built my 1977 Ironhead Sportster,I asked Led Sled Customs in Dayton,Ohio what they did and they told me the above. You only need lights and turn signals for the inspection(in Ohio),not for riding.You can use hand signals for actual riding and still be legal.

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
It's not that easy with a Timeless bike Slimey. They are not built to be DOT compliant so they are not titled nor are they shipped with a certificate of origin of any kind. In the eyes of the DMV they don't exist. I would think in most states the lack of paper will stop you long before they notice it doesn't have turn signals, or lights, or brakes, etc...... The only time I have actually contacted LEO while riding it they have only been interested in getting a better look at it and went on about their business, your experiences may vary. This thread has stayed alive longer than many China Girls have! usflg

Slimey1

Mar 10, 2014
Mt.Vernon,OH
It's not that easy with a Timeless bike Slimey. They are not built to be DOT compliant so they are not titled nor are they shipped with a certificate of origin of any kind. In the eyes of the DMV they don't exist. I would think in most states the lack of paper will stop you long before they notice it doesn't have turn signals, or lights, or brakes, etc...... The only time I have actually contacted LEO while riding it they have only been interested in getting a better look at it and went on about their business, your experiences may vary. This thread has stayed alive longer than many China Girls have! usflg
I see. I didnt realize those didnt have any MSO.