Piece by Piece

GoldenMotor.com

ChrisHornBike

Mar 2, 2014
San Luis Obispo
Well today was a parts day, got in nearly everything I need to start building.

Working with a no-name steel beach cruiser, a 79cc HF Predator, all sorts of parts taken from a bike graveyard, a 10.9: 1 overall ratio (10 to 20, 10 to 54), and a tube of grease. I hope my tires come in soon, planning on running CST Cyclops 2.4's.

Its going to be a process to be sure, but the finished product should be pretty rad. If everything goes as planned, the ungoverned HF 79cc should be able to hit 6000 rpm, and according to my math, it should hit around 43 mph at that rpm.

I also got a lucky fit with my 54T sprocket, it fits a freewheel sprocket perfectly, and the 8 holes line up... very very clean. Although it creates a problem with pedaling the bike, I think I'm going to attach another freewheel to the jackshaft and run the human powered chain on it.

I had a question for you guys though... Does anyone have any experience using an aluminum jackshaft? I have some aluminum round stock that I was planning on turning down to 5/8" to fit my sprockets.

On first glance at the math, the overall shear strength of a 5/8" aluminum shaft should be OK, but I haven't worked through it enough to know for sure.

Does anybody know the maximum power output and what RPM it happens of these HF 79cc engines? I could get better numbers if I knew.

The last picture is my inspiration.

Cheers

-Chris

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looking good, Chris.

Never used an aluminum jackshaft, so dunno.

One thing though, With no mods and only a disconnected governor, I have only gotten around and normally just under 5K RPM on a HF79.

Great little powerplant with major torque.