Am I NUTS or What

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The scoot original had a GY6 power unit with the engine being unitized with the rear wheel and suspension. These units are excellent clones of the original Honda designs and can be modded with readily available speed parts. All that being said if I were gonna mod it for an HF engine I would simply fab and weld some brackets to accept pillow bearings for a rear axle and wheel. doesn't look too hard. This would make a rigid rear suspension(the simplest way) but maybe a sprung seat could be added. Looks like a blank slate and an interesting project!

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
The scoot original had a GY6 power unit with the engine being unitized with the rear wheel and suspension. These units are excellent clones of the original Honda designs and can be modded with readily available speed parts. All that being said if I were gonna mod it for an HF engine I would simply fab and weld some brackets to accept pillow bearings for a rear axle and wheel. doesn't look too hard. This would make a rigid rear suspension(the simplest way) but maybe a sprung seat could be added. Looks like a blank slate and an interesting project!
VERY INTERESTING Cannonball... Any chance of getting some pictures of what the welding job would look like? I might just go buy the frame today.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
With out hands on Im just guessing, but two simple either square section or angle iron mounts the size of the selected bearings simply welded to the frame. You would have to figure exactly where to get the axle center lines front to back the same(vertically) and also to allow room for the engine. Looks like a 12" wheel? That could be small enough to drive directly with the right size rear sprocket. You could always drop to the common 10" wheel if necessary.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
After looking at the frame in the first pic I can see it would require the rear axle to be dropped quite a bit. Would be easy enough to fab a form of swing arm, and use shocks for a rear suspension. Many of the GY6 scoots only use one shock, check for existing mounts. This would give you a rough idea of where the original axle was located. This is not a lot of work to accomplish.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Pretty sure the shock mount is part of the uniframe design...and incorporated right into the motor...

This is a tomos nitro50 and you can see what I mean...

http://cimg.carsforsale.com/432919/30CEFBA9-64F4-4A0F-8E72-8A1783D9A7BD_2.jpg

But look at mopeds...the rear shocks are held up with bushings over threaded rod...

Id cut that rear side to side section at the back of the frame and build up a swingarm...

Not that hard if you can cut and weld metals

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Forget the seat! Just make it a stand-up scooter w a 212cc Predator mounted onto the frame.

Where's lowracer!

Chris
AKA: BigBlue