ID Size of a Stinger Pipe??

GoldenMotor.com

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
after doing some internet searchers, consensus seems to indicate a smaller ID than the header pipe.

does anyone have any idea's on what sort of ratio of the stinger pipe should be compared to the header pipe?

Im thinking of between a 1/4 and 1/2inch ID.

I have recently doubled the size of the expansion chamber and moved the stinger pipe to half way point of the ex chamber. this is an old pic of the exhaust pipe. but the header length is still the same.

engine: 48cc, 2 Stroke.

exhaust: 1inch ID, and long. see pic.

any suggestions?

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
No offence, But it's hardly a high performance system,
I wouldn't be making it any more restrictive than it already is.
1/2" would be my minimum.
Unless your running a proper tuned expansion pipe, I'd let her breathe.
I use a little under 3/4" ID.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
From reading gordon jennings two stroke handbook, the stinger pipe should be .60 the size of the header pipe.

he gives a basic formula of what size everything should be for an expansion chamber. you can download the whole book online.

no offense, but your pipe isn't even close to his guidelines. don't be offended, though. neither are any of the aftermarket pipes available from our vendors. ..

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You cannot expect the same results on a chinagirl as you would get from a better engine.
But with that said, following Gordon's guidelines is still a very good idea for home exhaust builders.
Also...
The stinger size on the pipe in the pic is not going to affect anything unless it's too small.
That pipe has no real two stroke chamber and will affect almost nothing but the noise.
You won't gain much by worrying about stinger size, but you can easily lose power if you restrict things too much.
Save the skull sweat for a REAL tuned pipe. If you made that yourself, you clearly have the skills to build a better version.

JaxInsany

May 6, 2013
Portland, OR
after doing some internet searchers, consensus seems to indicate a smaller ID than the header pipe.

does anyone have any idea's on what sort of ratio of the stinger pipe should be compared to the header pipe?

Im thinking of between a 1/4 and 1/2inch ID.

I have recently doubled the size of the expansion chamber and moved the stinger pipe to half way point of the ex chamber. this is an old pic of the exhaust pipe. but the header length is still the same.

engine: 48cc, 2 Stroke.

exhaust: 1inch ID, and long. see pic.

any suggestions?
Gorgeous exhaust! I'm curious of what you used to put it together, is that a mixture of steel piping and copper connections?

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Thanks guys.I forgot to add: im a noob and i want to go 50mph.

No, not really. its taken me about 3 years to get to this stage.

No offense, I'm more after lower end torque than outright power and less noise. with the cruiser frame bike, I'm after a 'Hardly Davidson' look, rather than a street bike.

above, is the current version of the pipe. its abit more throaty than it was and i think the power band has been lowered to a different rpm range.

I'm wanting to optimise, the mods of what i have. hence the question on the stinger pipe size. i think i will reduce the ID of the stinger pipe, to same size as the SPB silencer.

the exhaust pipe is made from a 10speed bike steel handle bar and the slip rings are the seat post from the same bike. they fit perfectly over the handlebar exhaust.

it made the job a **** of a lot easier to weld it up.