Almost the right way this time

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Considering all the changes you have done to the drive system, I admire your determination in completing this build. I hope that it exceeds your expectations when it finally flies down the road.
Looking at the first photo, is that a hole I see drilled in the seat post frame tube? If so, I suggest getting an extra, well fitting seat post long enough to reinforce that area and drive it down into the frame tube. Frame cracking caused by extra holes are well documented and my suggested fix is to avoid this.

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
Thank you very much. It's very rare that I give up on something; I've put over $3000 worth of parts into my truck in the three years that I've owned it, but I'm not giving up on it yet either. Being I have a part time job I can afford some things so I decided to buy some stuff and try to do it properly instead of just throw stuff at a bike like the last couple of times. Yes, there are two holes drilled in the tube as well as through the seat post. I'm already working on going to reenforce that area but I don't think that I will. I've never had an issue with the frame cracking there, but I'm gonna do something to it anyway.

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
Well, I've taken the plunge that I really didn't want to and bought one of the 80cc engine kits from eBay today and it should be here sometime around Monday. The only thing that made me do it was the bill me later option which gives me six months to pay and that I don't have the time, money, or tools to really set this one up how I want it. Because of this, I'm gonna set it on the back burner for awhile. Once I hopefully get a better job next month I'll be able to get this done and have his and hers bikes if she's willing to get on one. My fiancee isn't too happy about them in the first place, but maybe she'll take a liking to the kit. I'm not even gonna tell her I ordered it until it shows up. Plus, she thinks I spend too much as it is just to keep my old truck running with both parts every other week and filling a 20 gallon tank every other week. Yes, it's 25 years old and averages 30mpg on a 4.3l, but having a bike that can keep up with it in town is a whole lot more fun.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I know this is a late suggestion since you have a 2 stroke on it's way.If you put the engine all the wat back to the right and remove your inner sprocket which in the picture is going to the back wheel.Then put it behind the exsisting sprocket that is running off the clutch in the photo and shim out the clutch it might line up????Just a thought and I did not read the entire thread so..

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
I know this is a late suggestion since you have a 2 stroke on it's way.If you put the engine all the wat back to the right and remove your inner sprocket which in the picture is going to the back wheel.Then put it behind the exsisting sprocket that is running off the clutch in the photo and shim out the clutch it might line up????Just a thought and I did not read the entire thread so..
That did cross my mind, but I wouldn't be able to pedal with the engine that far offset. The whole reason for trying it like that was so I would still be able to pedal the bike. Plus, I would have to get a different clutch because that one is #35 and the wheel sprocket takes a 415/41 chain. I'm gonna keep this engine and one day setup a belt drive like I've done in the past.