Awesome cruiser, new motor won't start - help!

GoldenMotor.com

Teddy

Jul 3, 2013
Miami
First off, thanks to all who post and reply with feedback it's much appreciated. So I have a brand new Skyhawk 66 cc motor and have successfully mounted the kit to an awesome lime green cruiser. When I take it out for its first ride, it kicks on for 1.5 seconds and then dies.

I have spent the last two weeks sifting through dozens of forums and YouTube videos in an attempt to get it going but to no avail.

When the motor kicks on, I engage the throttle and the motor dies. When the motor kicks on, and I do not engage the throttle - the motor dies. When the motor kicks on and I re-engage the clutch - the motor dies. When the motor kicks on and I do NOTHING, you guessed it, motor dies.

I have the CNS carb and the throttle needle only has one groove for the ring, instead of four or five grooves like all others I've seen, which allow for rich/lean tuning. There is a screw mechanism on the exterior housing for the throttle cable which can be adjusted. I've tried with this in all positions, and nothing.

I have attempted with choke in all positions as well. Spark plug works and is properly gapped. I've adjusted the idle screw as well, with choke in all positions and still nothing. My level of frustration is rising but I am determined to get this thing going.

Please help before I throw the whole thing off my balcony!

THANKS!

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Yeah, you'll get it running. My two suggestions to check:

1) Can you tell whether fuel is feeding into the carb? Sometimes the gas tank caps don't have enough vent capacity.

2) Have you tried disconnecting the kill switch to rule out that yours is not faulty? Just connect the wires in the basic circuit without the kill switch and see if that helps.

There are many other possibilities so maybe some other experts can weigh in.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Being a newb myself, take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't even attempted to start my GT5.
In the reading I've been doing for the last few weeks though, there may be a few issues that are compounding your problems.
First, the plug and wire. It is suggested that the plug be replaced with an NGK. Something like a B6HS. Adjust the heat range as needed. Along with that replace the wire. I bought one from O'Reilly Auto.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OMS0/7BA328.oap?ck=Search_N0063_-1_1901&pt=N0063&ppt=C0150
Next is the carb. There's a thread in the troubleshooting forum that's like 35 pages. It talks about the CNS carb and how to get it to work. Consensus is that it's lean from the factory and going down to around a 66 jet is what's needed.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=30169

Teddy

Jul 3, 2013
Miami
Thanks to everyone for the reply and happy fourth!

@Groove - I have tried it with the kill switch disconnected and nothing. I know that gas is flowing into the carb, I've taken the carb apart and have had to drain what was in the fuel bowl.

One thing I don't know how to verify is fuel making it from carb to motor??? Part of me feels like this is the problem.

@Jeckler - I actually replaced the CDI and am getting good readings in my ohm tests. I'll try to find the spark plug you recommended. I have tried with supplied Z4JC and also with Z8C but neither works better than the last.

I'll walk through the carb thread you supplied, it is pretty long but will see if I can get anything from it.

el_yopo

Mar 15, 2013
Argentina
Give it a try in a clean place without the air filter... Maybe it is air and not fuel what's missing in the equation.
You will also be able to see the throttle slider in operation to check it is fine.

Just a suggestion...

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Is the float bowl clean? Maybe there's a peice of junk in there that gets sucked up into the jet when it burns a certain amount of fuel in there. It's a long shot but possible I think. I haven't had my cns carb for over a year I switched to an NT carb and am quite happy with it no noticeable drop in power with the mods done to my motor and practically care free operation and maintenance.

Im not saying abandon your CNS carb yet many people run them successfully but if it comes down to it you can get an NT carb for cheap. Mine was 12 bucks and I'm quite happy with it. Keep us posted! Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
When installing the carb, does it fit flush to the neck of the intake? There should be no gap. There are two pieces in the throat, the white plastic spacer, and a formed o-ring. The intake should kind of slide into that o-ring.
I got mine started yesterday. Out of the box, no adjustments, no choke. It fired up within 10 feet.

Teddy

Jul 3, 2013
Miami
@QuietRiot522 - the float bowl is clean, everything is new and hasn't really run yet so no debris really.

@Jeckler - the carb does sit completely flush to the intake. I see the spacer and o ring and both seem to be doing their job, there is no gap. I just got the NGK plug so I've replaced the spark plug and will give it a whirl.

Maybe it's something super simple that I'm just over looking?

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
@QuietRiot522 - the float bowl is clean, everything is new and hasn't really run yet so no debris really.

@Jeckler - the carb does sit completely flush to the intake. I see the spacer and o ring and both seem to be doing their job, there is no gap. I just got the NGK plug so I've replaced the spark plug and will give it a whirl.

Maybe it's something super simple that I'm just over looking?
That brass plug to the left of idle screw, remove it and underneath is air fuel adjustment screw, that's why no extra grooves for c clip on needle

Teddy

Jul 3, 2013
Miami
@Deset Rat - that brass plug to the left of the idle screw is practically flush. It sits maybe a 2 millimeters out and my pliers are chipping it away as I try to grab it. Any suggestions on getting it out??