Where to find billet flywheel for Pred 99cc

GoldenMotor.com

twalsh341

Apr 10, 2013
Philadelphia
What part are you calling the flywheel? and why do you want a lighter flywheel? The point of a flywheel is to be heavy to maintain inertia.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
What part are you calling the flywheel? and why do you want a lighter flywheel? The point of a flywheel is to be heavy to maintain inertia.
As I understand it...

The stock flywheel is engineered to function at 3600rpm. Spinning it faster could exceed the limits of its construction.

Even a billet steel flywheel would be a nice upgrade. A lighter flywheel would allow the engine to spool up faster. It can also increase the likelihood that the engine will stall on deceleration.

twalsh341

Apr 10, 2013
Philadelphia
I see, now wouldn't an aluminum one not work with the magneto for causing the spark? or would it have a steel jacket that caused the induction?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I see, now wouldn't an aluminum one not work with the magneto for causing the spark? or would it have a steel jacket that caused the induction?
The billet aluminum flywheels have a strong rare earth magnet glued in place, much like the stock one that's glued and screwed on. Strength and lightweight for higher rpm and made not to grenade.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Don't get caught up in thinking everything has to be billet to be any good or the hype over it....the stick parts are good enough unless raced and spun to excess....if they were making em to grenade Noone would be buying em

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
The billet aluminum flywheels have a strong rare earth magnet glued in place, much like the stock one that's glued and screwed on. Strength and lightweight for higher rpm and made not to grenade.
This one is for a 3 or 5 hp Briggs, while we are talking dream parts I'll take a 3 hp billet rod.

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
Sorry I neglected this thread. I would like a billet flywheel because I'd like to take the pull start and cage off on a vertical 99cc build for a more vintage look. It's not just that the billet looks good but I don't trust the cheap china cast flywheel. I know the pull start housing might not stop everything if it explodes but it probably stops or slows the shrapnel.
I was hoping one of you west coast guys using the predators might know someone who could make and sell this, I'd buy a couple.
If I can't get a billet wheel maybe I can make a minimal cage that still works to contain the cast wheel and still use a brass rope start setup.