Another V-Twin

GoldenMotor.com

ItsInTheBlood

Sep 20, 2012
Australia
Hello folks, heres a few details about my crazy venture. I collected a few bits and pieces about 2 years ago, then got too busy and overwhelmed with it all. I managed to get going again this year and ive made reasonable progress. Getting all the necessary parts has been intensive as well as getting tools and equipment. I want to be influenced by machines of the 1915-1920 era , but not make a replica. Id like to use as many American parts as possible and as close as i can get to that era, vintage bicycles have proven to be very helpful in that regard. Im going with 26" wheels as it seems that there are good tyres available, and Worksman steel rims, and 12 guage , ill build my own wheels (ive built a lot of wheels over the years).
I decided to make a motorcycle and not a motorised small bicycle, and with that in mind, i stumbled on the Briggs V-Twin stationary engine Vanguard series. Perfect, cheap reliable air cooled,v-twin, no transmission, . I looked around for a long time and got a great deal on a job lot of 4 engines, 2x 20hp and 2x 18. What a bargain.
Engine 01.jpg
Engine 02.jpg
Im trying to keep it as American as i can as that's where so much formative history occured, (yes its a bummer that the Vanguard is made in japan), if i could afford a 'vintage v twin' engine id be using one.
I found this... NDhub02.jpg , a vintage front coaster hub, so i looked around for a rear coaster hub to use as a front brake and make a brake lever to replace the drive sprocket. I found this, Hub 01.jpg
unfortunatley , the brake is a series of internal friction clutch plates and drags a lot, so i may use it as a front hub, and use a rear internal expanding drum brake for the rear. I'd prefer no brakes. but i know i must be practical. I had thought of having a drum brake on the jackshaft, but i dunno. Until i find the best solution i will use a Sachs VT with a drive flange sprocket carrier attached , its not what id like , but it will have to do, until i can find an old BSA/Triumph hi-lo flange rear hub or similar. I have converted a drill press to use a flycutter and braced it. Im waiting for my bench grinder so i can sharpen my cutter and test it out. Im going with mild steel for the frame, rigid fork. Id like to persist with welding the lugs and brazing the rest of it all together, I have a friend who has offered to help out , he has a frame building jig at home and hes an ace brazer and machinist. So keeping with the lugged frame is something i'd like to stick with, but we'll see. If ive been a good boy father xmas may help me with a dc inverter welder. I have lots of bits and pieces, engine parts, electrics, oil line plumbing, im ordering a Comet transmission any day now, and ive got some materials together to make my frame jig.
So there u have it, a big thanks to Lurker and DareDevil.

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ... ItsInTheBlood....Welcome to the V Twin club...Ill be watching.. congratulations on your choice of build...Hope every thing goes to plan.....plenty of folks here to help and advise you on your build.....DareDevil...

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad to see so many v-twins going on right now. I love the idea of a front coaster brake too I might have to steal that for my next build. I'll be watching this one for sure.

ItsInTheBlood

Sep 20, 2012
Australia
Thanks racie35 , DareDevil and Mr Lurker,
Coaster hub, yes its so obvious i dont know why i didnt think of it, making the drive sprocket the brake arm, ill have a go at getting some 'last resort' testing of that New Departure hub as a front brake, maybe theres an oil that will work on the friction plates that wont drag, maybe the plate surfaces just need cleaning up and bedding in, ill lace it up to a guinea pig wheel and test er out.
Heres something for your "listen to v-twins" for inspiration.........its not a v-twin, but its my favourite, the amazing v16 supercharged BRM (maybe i could join 8 Vanguards together?? I only need another 4)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=OnEA-m8cVcE

Hey DareDevil, ive just been pouring over your throttle linkages, very tasty, the ball joints.......are they new or 're-purposed'?