Chain Slipped from Engine Sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

SergeyTempest

May 7, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Was riding a few hours ago. I stopped at a red light, no problem. But when I started pedaling from said stop upon the light's changing, and engaged the motor, the motor's chain slipped from the little sprocket inside the little housing on the motor. How would I go about reseating that chain properly and safely?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your chain is too loose. Actually, if you have a Chinese 2 stroke, you didn't tell us, I don't see how the chain could come off of the engine drive sprocket. It can bunch up and bind if the chain is too loose but there really isn't enough room inside the clutch actuator cover for the chain to come completely off the sprocket unless you're using very narrow chain.

Chain tension should be 1/2 to 3/4" of slack. No more, no less and the chain and sprockets must be properly aligned.
Good luck.

Tom

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Chain tension and Chain alignment should be checked. Also if your using the chain thats supplied with the kit that could be the reason why it came off of the front sprocket. Buy a 41 or 415 chain.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
This looks like the right post, I have a Huasheng 142f 49cc with 11 tooth drive sprocket
everything is set just right, chain is aligned, 1/2" slack and chain keeps popping
off of drive sprocket, as I turn it by hand I can see one tooth that keeps catching the
chain, should I do a little grinding on that tooth? oh and chain doesn't pop until
I get on the road, Turning it by hand and short bursts around the park or when wheel
is up off ground running no problems.
Thanks

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Grinding just the tops of the teeth will make them thin enough to help them find the center of the chain - usually though, this is caused by the engine leaning to the left a bit so be sure it's straight & tight in the frame.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
To reiterate everything is straight and true and aligned, 1/2 inch slack on chain
I used a piece of string lengthwise of bike to check that the motor is sitting
square and a laser leveler to check alignment,
and the answer is yes it's ok to grind the teeth and you have four points of grinding
near top of teeth front and back grind at approx. 30 degree angle
and the sides can be ground at same 30 degree angle just don't bring to a sharp
point.