Crankcase pressure coming out wire opening?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Just noticed it on my 50- after replacing jug and checking for head and exhaust leaks- thought I felt something

and there it was- crankcase pressure coming out around the wires in the lower front section of the motor-
Is that at all normal?
Do you think it's affectring performance?
Should I try to plug it up?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
At least it's pumping out. Sucking in can cause the engine to run lean and then die.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Just noticed it on my 50- after replacing jug and checking for head and exhaust leaks- thought I felt something

and there it was- crankcase pressure coming out around the wires in the lower front section of the motor-
Is that at all normal?
Do you think it's affectring performance?
Should I try to plug it up?
Not normal and the fix is to replace the crankshaft seal behind the magneto.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Took the cover off and the magnet-

The seal doesn't look bad, but it just sits there very loosely- I took the chance to pack some grease into the main bearing behind it on that side, and packed the back of the seal with grease. I might doi it with the other motror if it seems to make a difference.

I also put gasket sealer around the outside of the seal and put it back on- I'll have to see how it goes- I'll probably order some seals in the meantime

Probably eventually put some putty around the holes where the wires come out through the cover just for sound dampenig- But I'll wait until I know the problem is fixed-

A little surprised at the ease of doing this- the little key on the shaft is tricky- not to lose- and I put it back in with needle nose pliars.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The seal doesn't look bad, but it just sits there very loosely- I took the chance to pack some grease into the main bearing behind it on that side, and packed the back of the seal with grease. I might doi it with the other motror if it seems to make a difference.

I also put gasket sealer around the outside of the seal and put it back on- I'll have to see how it goes- I'll probably order some seals in the meantime

Probably eventually put some putty around the holes where the wires come out through the cover just for sound dampenig- But I'll wait until I know the problem is fixed-.
The crankshaft bearings on a 2 stroke are lubricated by the oil mixed into the gas.
Greasing them is not needed and may lead to them burning up.