new and ignorant to 2 strokes. how do I know if I fried my engine?

GoldenMotor.com

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
A friend did the same thing on his bike. So, I got Marvel's mystery oil, put it in the spark plug hole, and let it sit over night.
Next day, I let out the clutch, and went BACKWARDS with it. It freed right up. If you do that, make sure you inspect the cylinder, and piston. You can go to many of the websites on here, and get replacement parts. It doesn't matter how bad it is, you can get almost everything you need. I mean the cylinder head, the piston, rings and cylinder itself. Replace all of those (if necessary) and you should be good.

Either way, weather you get lucky or not, you can fix it for less then 50$$ (unless you messed it up very bad)

KANNONBALL13

Apr 10, 2012
Loveland Colorado
I just ordered a new motor, mine was running about 30min at about 35mph, and then lost all compression. I looked at the carb, plug, checked seals, and nothing! I took the head off, and the topend was burnt ( the plug only fired for 500 miles)
one side of the piston was gouged up, and now I will try to find out why? And if the gouged piston had anything to do with the loss of compression.
Suggestions?

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Kannonball, how did you break in your engine. The best thing to do is let it run, raise RPMs with a load, hit it, then let it cool. That's called heat cycles.

Did you just turn it on and go for 30 minutes at 35MPH, or how exactly did you break in your engine?

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
if you have the head off,slide the jug off and post up a couple photos,i'm sure one of the supreme beings here (no sarcasm intended) will have some insight and great advice.

as Donphantasmo mentioned,the heat cycles and driving it easy will aid with break in.
i dont think i would run my bike at wide open for that long,screaming along for that long has to be hard on an engine.if i found the need to run that hard i'd oil it up a little heavier than usual,a richer oil/fuel mix would give it a little more longevity.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I just ordered a new motor, mine was running about 30min at about 35mph, and then lost all compression. I looked at the carb, plug, checked seals, and nothing! I took the head off, and the topend was burnt ( the plug only fired for 500 miles)
one side of the piston was gouged up, and now I will try to find out why? And if the gouged piston had anything to do with the loss of compression.
Suggestions?
If the side of the piston (the skirt) has long, vertical gouges - either a ring broke, or a ring was inserted wrong in relation to its pin. But I'm not sure about that because I don't know if the HT 2-smokers use pinned rings.

Now, not being certain about how you would describe "gouged up", and not being certain if you actually meant "one side of the top face of the piston", the only other speculation I can offer is: in addition to checking for ring pieces, look to find out if the plug is firing out of sync. Maybe it's firing too early or too late, while the air fuel mix is pushing through a port. It's possible your Woodruff key might have a slight shear.