goped engine on bmx?

GoldenMotor.com

burr

Jul 10, 2010
fountain hills
i found a bmx frame in my neighborhood today,
i really want to put a engine on it.
its a pretty standard frame, do you think a goped engine would work?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes. Cut the front off the go-ped, turn it around and mount it up so it runs tire to tire (friction drive).
You could have it going in one day.

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I actually did the same thing bikerguy joe just described with a goped engine on a trek hybrid mountain bike. Since the wheels on my bike are larger I need to swap the goped tire with some razor scooter wheels to get a better overall gear ratio. It took about 5 hours to fabricate an existing rear rack to hold the engine, I used a weldable door type hinge as the lever to raise/lower the engine onto the tire. I used a locking clutch motorbike kit type lever to raise and lock the engine in place for normal bicycle riding. It needs a little fine tuning but it works great very very good torque on those little engines.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
welcome from around the corner laff

(I met this young dude a day or 2 ago,,,noticed he had no brakes, and sent him here :))

btw...I am still looking for a brake arm I could give you ;)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
actually saw one today. wanted to take a picture but i got involved talking with a guy who's a member here who recognized my bike, so i forgot.

the bmx had most of the seat post cut out and a little cage made for the motor to sit in, and the cranks were removed. not my style, but it looked clean and functional.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
i found a bmx frame in my neighborhood today,
i really want to put a engine on it.
its a pretty standard frame, do you think a goped engine would work?
I know this is an ancient thread, but I recently rode a goped and it SCREAMS compared to an HT/CG. Since I can't find a thread with any mention of someone mounting a goped engine IN-FRAME, I am going to be the first and give it a shot in a beach cruiser and let ya'll know what happens. my nephew has 20 gopeds in a shed, so we are gonna get to it. I'm just wondering about the drive sprocket on the goped clutch. like if we will be able to fab a 41 chain size sprocket to it. otherwise it just looks like welding 2 tabs onto the frame and BAM. (hopefully not a BAD bam...)

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Fancy Scooters caries a 12 tooth sprocket that will fit on the 5-to-1 reducer tranny. Its a killler combo...