anyone fix this

GoldenMotor.com

smileymale

Jul 18, 2010
oshawa
ok a few days ago i was at a coffee shop when i came back out for beaning in there for about 3min my gas cap was gone. i got something to replace it but thats not my problem. yesterday i was driving and all a sudden came to a complete stop like i have the break on. it wont move turn over at all would anyone know or have a clue why?
:-||

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
A little more info on its symptoms would be helpfull , because right now it sounds to me like a locked up motor .

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Assuming a China 2 stroke chain drive, and you know what that means....

Many people don't use terms correctly, maybe you have. When saying that the engine won't turn over, tells me that the engine may be locked up and the crankshaft won't rotate. Or are you saying that the crankshaft is rotating and the engine won't start? You might get the same symptom if the clutch wasn't disengaged, or a clutch cable broke or way out of adjustment. Mine, I'd remove the chain, remove the spark plug and the magneto cover and use a socket to turn the magneto nut clockwise while the clutch is disengaged.. This will let you know if the engine itself is locked up or it maybe something like the wheel bearings.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
its locked up wont turn at all
I've run across this problem with another member...He replaced the head studs and nuts, and somehow dropped a nut in the engine. Every so often, as the crank turned it would catch on the nut. I suggested the following. You might want to pull the cylinder and piston and inspect (this is how he saw the nut). Might be either a crank, wrist pin or crankshaft bearings, or even a broken ring.. Don't rule out the clutch gears on the right side, inspect them first. While you have it down, you might want to upgrade the studs

Last edited:

smileymale

Jul 18, 2010
oshawa
ok well i finally found the problem well kind of. the piston is stuck in the cylinder head and i cant get it to move any suggestions?

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
If the piston is seized, it's likely a ring, jammed/stuck/broke. Hopefully the jug is OK, but not likely- be prepared to replace the top end. I'd recomend opening the clutch cover, just to eliminate the slim chance that it's something potentially easy to fix....
I hope the best for your repair- keep us posted!

Could try a firm grip on the jug (or get a helper to get a hold of it), and try the wooden end of a mallet to rap/push (bang that sucker out!) against the piston-

-As an after thought, if you have the head off, and pull the clutch in.... does that give you any play to lift the jug and the piston stuck inside.... with rotation of the crankshaft there should be some movement?

If nothing I've said helps- do not be surprised.....=)
-Richard

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
sounds like a broken ring .... worst case , you have to cut it off .
I actually had helped do just that once with my Uncles dirt bike the piston seized in the cylinder so tight that we had to saw through the jug from the top down like slicing bread just too 1 side of the connecting rod an cracked it open like cracking an egg , just be sure if thats how you get it off that you flush out that motor well or just open it up an hand clean all the metal out of it .
Gary

UriDead

Nov 21, 2011
Madison, IN.
Didn't happen to forget to gas it up with premixed gas/oil did you? Grab the wrong can? If you have no lube in the fuel it will lock up tighter than a drum in short order. Just a thought cause it's easy to make that mistake. Been there, done that.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I see the OP hasn't responded since the 18th of Dec. Nevertheless, going back to his original post he said his gas cap was stolen. My first impression is that someone dumped something in the tank, like sugar. (remember, he was at a donut shop). My guess is the piston is seized due to the sugar, or whatever, diluted the lubrication.

It always annoys me when a guy comes here, asks a question then doesn't come back to tell us what he found or didn't find. Don't bother asking if you can't respond to the advice given.
Tom

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I see the OP hasn't responded since the 18th of Dec. Nevertheless, going back to his original post he said his gas cap was stolen. My first impression is that someone dumped something in the tank, like sugar. (remember, he was at a donut shop). My guess is the piston is seized due to the sugar, or whatever, diluted the lubrication.

It always annoys me when a guy comes here, asks a question then doesn't come back to tell us what he found or didn't find. Don't bother asking if you can't respond to the advice given.
Tom
Oh boy, I'll second that, after we take our time and try to help them out. makes me feel like I wasted my time...I guess we did.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
My motor seized up on the way to work. All I did was pull the plug, dump a tablespoon or so of oil down the plug hole and let it sit. When I got out of work all I did was tug the back wheel and it freed right up. Ended up catching ring on a port a week later. But it fired up and got me home.