Back Tire Won't Turn

GoldenMotor.com

UltraAdeline

Sep 2, 2011
Montana
My boyfriend ordered a RAW Silver 80cc bike engine from rawmotors.com, and they were kind enough to not include an instruction manual. We've managed to put it together via several Youtube videos, but now that we've got it put together, the back tire refuses to turn. And yes, we are using the clutch lever!
We went looking on Google and discovered that if we pull the spark plug out, the tire will turn just fine and the engine will start turning.
There is no pull-rope for this engine; according to an online manual we found, we must start pedaling, then release the clutch to start the engine.

Anyway, we hear this problem is caused by the piston hitting the spark plug. Can anyone help us fix this?
And, if possible, could you include photos/describe parts that you are talking about? We have no idea what the names of most of these parts are!

UltraAdeline

Sep 2, 2011
Montana
Sorry for double post! :)

I forgot to mention that he CAN force the back tire to turn with the spark plug in, in case that's important.

He took the spark plug out and put it back in, and the back tire turns very jerkily and slowly now, instead of not moving at all.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Sorry for double post! :)

I forgot to mention that he CAN force the back tire to turn with the spark plug in, in case that's important.

He took the spark plug out and put it back in, and the back tire turns very jerkily and slowly now, instead of not moving at all.
Sounds to me like you are turning over the engine as you rotate the tire, which shouldn't happen when you have the clutch pulled in and locked.

First off, squirt light weight oil down the clutch cable if you haven't already. Make sure your clutch cable has a nice graceful route, no sharp bends or turns. When the clutch lever is parallel with the engine the drive should be engaged (wheel locked to engine!), as the clutch lever travels roughly the width of the opening for the chain the engine should disengage. If your clutch arm has reached the inside edge of the chain opening and the wheel still hasn't free'd up then you have some sort of clutch problem for sure. Again, the clutch arm should travel roughly the distance across the top of the opening where the chain goes and operate fully.

I had a problem with the clutch on my kit, seems like you might have the same issue, the nut on the drive sprocket was loose on my new engine. With it loose the internal clutch spring wasn't getting compressed enough and my clutch needed a longer than normal pull to activate. (Hard to engage and disengage within a lever pull) I found this out the hard way, after running a short while the nut came off, snapped the chain, sprocket a real mess! When I was replacing the damaged parts I could feel the internal spring compress and see the shaft pull out as I tightened that nut, much to my surprise after tightening the nut myself my clutch worked great! Engage/Disengage, no sweat, just like it was supposed to!
They give you a spark plug tool that will tighten this nut, I purchased a real socket and get that nut nice and tight, using some removable lock tight in there as well....
Good luck with you bike...

UltraAdeline

Sep 2, 2011
Montana
Thank you so much for the prompt replies and links!

I've got a feeling we installed the clutch cable wrong. It was the only part we couldn't find instructions on, so we just kinda...winged it.
As nightcruiser suggested, the clutch route is graceful with no sharp bends or curves, so that ought to be fine. :)

If someone could show us pictures of how to install specifically the clutch cable, very detailed? Just to make sure we've got it right. I will take pictures later, if I can, and post them if needed.

Also, thank you to GearNut for the link, it looks very helpful and we're going to try that when we get the time tomorrow!

Colton Spätz

May 17, 2019
Hi, I literally was on my way home from work and it seems the motor seized as the back tire will not move what-so-ever. I un-did the master link on the chain and no bike is ride-able but without the motor. Can anyone help with this issue? Please, it's my only mode of transportation.