doo doo happens

GoldenMotor.com

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
Well had a flat today.Lucky me only 1/4 mile from home. Take a look at what killed my tube. Kind of fishy the way this nail was bent so it stands up waiting for me tire. Make me wonder if someone is mad at me cuz me not like rap:^). Took off wheel and put in a new tube and discovered two broken spokes. Bummer

Attachments

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
Anyway, that's a real ugly nail. Looks like one of those double-puncture jobs that not even Slime can fight off easily!
The tube was a brand new thick slime tube and the tire was a Armadillo kevlar that is supposed to be bullet proof. To be fair about the aramadillo I have had really great luck with these tires in fact this is the first time in over 2500 miles the tire has had a puncture

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
On my ride saturday i was going over a local bridge. I was in the pedestrian part that is seprated from the roadway by a concrete barrier. There was so much glass. I wasn't using the motor cuz of the cramped space. I felt my tire run over a broken glass bottle. The bottem end of the bottle was sitting up like somone laid it there just for a biker to runover. My tire went right over it before i noticed it, and i heard it crunch under my tire and felt the glass press against the tire but it never went thru. I peeked at the shadow of my tire, and it never went flat. The whole way across the bridge i went over tons of glass. Never got a single puncture. I forgot to check when i got to the end of the bridge. I went 42 miles total that day, half of which was pedalling (to get some big time excersize). But I never had a problem. Gonna get flat sometime. :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Not much you can do against a sharp, long nail. I know a thing or two about Kevlar, and had to wear it for years as well. Yes, it'll stop bullets - but not sharp objects. Most bullets aren't sharp (thank heaven). And slime is marvelous stuff, but it's no guarantee.

A tire full of closed-cell foam is about the only way to avoid flats entirely and absolutely, and even that would break down eventually.