Spark plug problem

GoldenMotor.com

Mjkx8

Jun 22, 2011
United States
So I was about to fire up my bike for the first time today. So I go to connect the boot to the spark plug and the f-ing thing won't fit! The spark plug doesn't click down as it should, it just hangs and flops on there. It simply won't fit. Any suggestions?

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
You can try and grind down the cap on the spark plug. my kit had the same crap, why send a cap that doesn't even fit. In the process of trying to make it fit I destroyed it, ripped it off the wire and mashed all the plastic where you stick the plug. Now it won't fire, yeee haaaw yet another problem to fix. I actually bought this to be kind of a learning tool and a way around.

Mjkx8

Jun 22, 2011
United States
I'm not particularly interested in grinding down the spark plug, I'd rather not take the risk. But Dave C. what do you mean unscrew the top? The top of what?

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Your not grinding down the spark plug just the little cap you screw on. And thats what dave is talking about, take off the cap you screw on the top and that will work, it fits pretty good.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You don't need to "grind" anything. The small cap at the top of the plug will unscrew leaving a threaded post that the kit supplied plug boot will fit. Some of the caps are tight so you might need small vice grips to unscrew it but they all come off. No grinding required on anything.
A better suggestion is to replace the kit plug boot with a good automotive grade boot that will fit any plug without removing anything.
Tom

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Some makes of plugs you can't screw the top off of, it's part of the center electrode. NGK you can.

And the spark plug wire should be replaced as soon as possible. sick bike parts has a good one. To remove the wire you just unscrew it from the CDI. There are reports of the Chinee epoxying the wire in now, you have to dig it out.

The plug wire boot looks to be made in a toy factory. Unlike anywhere else in the world the boot/wire is made from 6 parts to replace what we make from 3. :/

Last edited:

jakeweitz

Jul 9, 2011
canada
hi i am having a similar problem, the top of my plug has a thread and my coil or boot does not have thread, i removed the boot but only saw wire, no were to screw in the plug, it just fits loose and i dont even think its making contact with the boot
:-||