Head: how to take off??

GoldenMotor.com

Scootershack

Jun 21, 2011
North Dakota
Im trying to take off my head to measure it to see how many cc's my motor is since I found the bike abandoned. I cant get it off. I find two bolts on the left side of the motor when im sitting down but is there any im missing? Also is there anything to watch out for so that i don't ruin my motor or lost a part when and if I do get it off? As you can tell im a newb and don't know much about 2 cycle engines..don't even get me started on the carb, lol. Thanks

Zach

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
"off. I find two bolts on the left side of the motor when im sitting down but is there any im missing? "

NOT the side!!! NO bolts on either side just to get the cylinder head off !

There will be 4 nuts on the very top part of the engine, usually equidistant from the sparkplug that must all come off to remove the cylinder head for measurement purposes, if that is your goal.

Sometimes the head is stuck tight to the cylinder, and will not separate easily.
A few [small] sharp raps with a hammer against a small stick held against the cylinder head, at the joint to the cylinder should loosen it. Then you can [easily] pry with a larger screwdriver, first on one side, then the other... if it is being difficult.

Most the time they'll come right off.
You could also loosen all four nuts and spin the motor over a few revs, with the sparkplug wire off, to loosen it. Then take the nuts all the way off.
rc