Booster Bottles

GoldenMotor.com

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
You can not compress a gas enough to back any fuel up into a boost bottle. What it's for is increased volume in the intake tract to smooth out pulses. Improperly placed the worst it can do is nothing.

Just don't expect seat-of-the-pants power improvements. It works best as part of a hi-performance package.

fattmeeney

May 10, 2011
qld
Hi everybody, I'm new here, G'day.
I have been very interested in this subject for awhile now, and have a theory I'd like to run past some knowledgeable people such as yourselves....
My thinking is that if it's purpose is to "smooth out" air/fuel mix flow properties in the intake to combustion chamber, and it baffles the air/fuel mix that is left after the piston closes of the port, the "boost bottle" doesn't need to be the same size as the engine capacity!?, Here me out please :)....
I think it would only need to be approx. 1/2 the volumetric capacity of the intake from the back of the slide to the piston wall at the closed port. taking into account volumetric efficiency the air/fuel mix left in the intake tract isn't going to be engine capacity, as barrametric pressure and the vacume created won't draw enough to compress the a/f mix once the cumbustion chamber port is closed, Having a boost bottle approx half the intake tract capacity should be enough to soften or baffle the "bounce back" affect of the a/f mix, without being big enough to affect idle?
If the Boost bottle was a larger diameter then the intake manifold then the pressure drop from manifold to Boost bottle would be more then enough to baffle any "bounce back", I think... Ideally I would think that a "boost bottle chamber" the same diameter as intake manifold with an opening or port the 1/2 the "boost bottle diameter would be close to perfect. I have a paintshop diagram but am unsure of how to post it :( sorry, would be happy to e-mail though.
with a set-up like I tried to describe, I would think there wouldn't be huge power increase's, but would expect smoother acceleration, crisper throttle response and maybe a little more torque by way of better air/fuel mix and smoother less turbulant delivery of the mix to the combustion chamber allowing for better volumetric effeintcy.
This is just a thought, not proven. I am throwing it out there looking for constructive feedback from people with an understanding of combustion engines please, Thanks in advance