Work on bike suspended

GoldenMotor.com

Shrug53

May 27, 2010
Laveen, AZ
Well I have stopped work on my bike, my car, and stopped working in general.
I have been diagnosed with "Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease"
The short-term treatment is Lactulose, which has a host of unpleasant side-effects.
But it will lower the ammonia levels in my blood so the liver can start to do its job again.
I am also on a diet and need to lose 100 lbs.
The side effects from my drug therapy leves me wek and tired so I can not even take photos at my home studio (one of my few sources of income along with web design)
Over the next few months things will get tight. But we hang in there.
All the plans I had for the bike, the trike kit, the motor, even the cool teardrop mirrors, are going to have to take a back burner to paying medical deductibles.
This really sucks. It has been nearly 20 years since I stopped building custom bikes. Now that I want to start again, I have a half finished stretch limo cruiser sitting in my garage (right behind my half finished 64 Barracuda.
(Sigh) well I will keep you posted.
If anyone wants to see my Barracuda blog, drop me a note and I will send you the link.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Having my ongoing heart problem, I can only wish you well. Still, when you find the energy, do just a little on your bike, you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Shrug53

May 27, 2010
Laveen, AZ
Thanks all. I am just so worn out. Plus my medication makes me go at least a half dozen times a day. I did not think the body held that much p*op. It also dehydrates me, gives me headaches, and lot of other interesting bits.
I tried to get my pedals on this morning but could not do it. I guess I need to be wearing my spectacles to see the thread well. Plus I may need to get some paint off the threads. Then I got tired and came back inside.
Can I tell you I can not even contemplate getting the old motor out of my barracuda and dropping in the fresh one I built. If the bicycle make me work out after ten minutes, imagine what an engine swap will do.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I've known someone with the same issue. Don't try to rush it, that ammonia in the brain is bad news and can make you act like a completely different person. Be careful, about how you are to your family and loved ones. My friend whom has this issue would not stop drinking like he was supposed to and when he drank the ammonia levels skyrocketed, he instantly became a different person. For no reason he would start accusing people of trying to kill him and just plain out freaking out. This drove everyone he loved away from him, which was a very heavy hit to my own heart. Also do research of your own, I'm not sure how it is in your area but Doctors here are stupid and corrupted by big medicine. They don't try to resolve problems anymore but simply try to get people on presciptions they'll have to rely on the rest of their lives.

I wish you the best sir and may you overcome this ordeal to get back into the grease monkey biz!

Shrug53

May 27, 2010
Laveen, AZ
Well I have already lost 20 pounds in the last five weeks. So that is a step in the right direction.
Oddly my wife says I have not acted any differently. So I guess that is good.
Darn thing is I do not drink, ever. This is all weight related.
But for now I am on a foul drug called lactulose. Once my ammonia levels get back down and now that I am losing weight, my liver can start to repair itself.

Thanks for the concern guys!

Shrug53

May 27, 2010
Laveen, AZ
Maybe when the doc lets me ease up on the medication I can get back to work.
If I could just get one website or graphic design job, I would have enough for all of my parts.
I am going to try and get the pedals and basic fenders on tomorrow. Then I will start riding around my block a few times daily. At least a stab at exercise.
Man I used to love bicycles. Even when I had cars, I would get on my beach cruiser and go up to Woodley Park near my house in Van Nuys, CA. The had a full 4 mile bike path that went through a Japanese garden, a lake with ducks, it was great. I would make a round. Stop for a sandwich that I would pack, and then go again. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
I would like a motorized one now to take the place of the car I just sold.
Everything I need, market, auto parts store, barber, new gym in a few months, are all within 3 miles. If I have to go further I can just use my wifes car.

This is such a great idea. I get to run errands, go on parts runs, etc. and can go a week on $3.00 of gas max!

Hey if anyone needs graphic or web work, or if you are local and need photography, I am always happy to trade for parts.
.trk

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Lactulose huh, sounds milk related....lol but it's not. I love bikes as well so many people in cars miss so much more than they realize. I wish you well, and hope for your sake you are of the lactulose soon as well.

Shrug53

May 27, 2010
Laveen, AZ
I do miss it a lot. Riding is great. I love these little motor kits because if I choose I can run with it off. Get my exercise!
Then if I am going for a load of parts, especially something heavy like a car battery, I can use the motor to help out. Or if I want to go to my local lowrider cruise, which has lots of cool bikes, I can motor up since it is nearly 8 miles away.
Mine is going to be the envy of all bikes there! I am custom designing my graphics and then I am going to send them off to a vehicle wrap place along with measurements of my full wheel fenders.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Do as much as you can, for as long as you can. Listen to you doctor, but make your own decisions it has worked for me. It also worked for my wife who had some serious issues as well... If you are in control of your treatment, you will do better.

Last edited: