wallymart chain break

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have had three chain tools from wally mart. the first two broke two chains each the disintegrated. So when I bought the third one, just for convenience, from wally mart I expected nothing better, but low and behold I have had it now for several months and broken several chains. It is a hundred times better than the first two. I guess park complained to the chinese factory making them, because this one is as good as the high price spread.

Just thought I would pass it on.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Just curious...where was the fail point on them ?, because they got Me for 2 of them in a week before I got a good quality one off e-bay.
Cheers
Chainmaker

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
the pen pusher one time,.,, then the bottom frame where there are two sets of wings one of them broke off.

Pen pusher most likely was lined up wrong and I was pushing against the chain frame maybe. The other one the metal was just garbage.

This one the pins all push out easily and the metal hasn't given me any trouble. I think it was just shoddy material to be honest. I either got a good one this time or they have changed the way they are made. By the way I have had two of the high priced bike shop ones and they broke after a while but they did last longer. I use mine alot. Today I used it to change the chainring on my ebike. Had to shorten the chain when I finished.,

I bought the one I have now because the bike store breaker broke on me. I needed to put a chain on right away so I went to wallymart and bought one figuring I would use it once. Turns out it has outlasted my expectations by months.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thats almost exactly what happened to mine the pushers both bent the first use..just enough to be a pita, and both times the same wing snapped off within 5 uses.

Cheers
Chainmaker

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
I bought 2 of them, the first broke after pushing out one pin. The second broke on the second pin. I also "clamped" the chain down with a pair of vice grips in order to prevent it from moving. It gave me a 100% improvement is one way to look at it. Even though they are relatively inexpensive, I'm not going to buy any more of them. I'm better off forking over the money for a Park tool chain breaker.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I broke two of those they did last a little longer but they are harder to get in a hurry. The bike shop isn't open on sunday or late in the evening.

This one has been a great breaker. not sure if they improved it or the stars were in alignment when they made this one but It works great. If you need one in a hurry it might pay to give it one more try.

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I finally bought a park tools kit for my bike as I am sick of breaking tools lol. In highschool a friend of mine bought a chain breaker from the local bike shop, they didn't tell him he was supposed to put a chain pin under the pin on the breaker to keep the breakers pin from sinking into the threaded shaft. He went to break his first chain and it pushed the breakers pin all the way into the handle deep enough to not be able to retrieve it with needle nose. Live and learn eh?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Honest to god, the worst thing about learning to work on bikes for me was that I had to look everything up on the net. In town there was one bike shop and they acted as though building or repairing a bike was like building a nuclear bomb. Everything was top secret. There was nobody around to show me how to do anything at all. Sure I had worked on cars, but they really aren't the same. Mostly bikes are easy but you have to at least have some idea when you start. I started absolutely blind.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I always bought bike shop park until I tried this last bell from walmart. I have used me several times with no problems this time. The first two were trash but I think they have beefed up their product.

Park is a safe bet though. The bell isn't a safe bet yet.

That number 40 chain will do a number on any of them. I broke two bells and two parks on them.