rear mounting bolts sheared :(

GoldenMotor.com

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
I had a back stud break off at the case today, I center punched it and tried to drill it withno luck, i then tried drilling into it on my drillpress, still no luck bit just wanders off and will not stay on stud, i wanted to use an easy out but cant even drill down into stud at all,must be titanium boron carbon stainless petrified steel, whatever it is my bits will not grab into it and bits are good. Any ideas?
Get a dremel, and some cutting discs (the smaller the better, so maybe grab a used one) and carve an X on it, this will be the equivelent of a centre punch.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Get a dremel, and some cutting discs (the smaller the better, so maybe grab a used one) and carve an X on it, this will be the equivelent of a centre punch.
Or just use that very small worn out cutoff wheel to make a slot to use a flathead screw driver. Buy, borrow or rent a small impact screwdriver if its to stubborn for a hand. Also screwdriver bits on a ratchet are great for stubborn ones to. They allow you to put a lot of pressure between the bit and your target and gives you allot more leverage at the same time.

Sorry for getting a bit of topic but I'm bored.

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Yea I got it out last night, I started off with a 1/16 bit and it went in real smooth, then redrilled with a 1/8 bit, easy out pulled it right out. Thanks for info

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Or just use that very small worn out cutoff wheel to make a slot to use a flathead screw driver. Buy, borrow or rent a small impact screwdriver if its to stubborn for a hand. Also screwdriver bits on a ratchet are great for stubborn ones to. They allow you to put a lot of pressure between the bit and your target and gives you allot more leverage at the same time.

Sorry for getting a bit of topic but I'm bored.
Pretty much the basic idea. However due to the circumference of a cutting wheel, once you cut into the snapped off stud a bit, you'll start cutting into the frame.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Pretty much the basic idea. However due to the circumference of a cutting wheel, once you cut into the snapped off stud a bit, you'll start cutting into the frame.
If the cutoff wheel is wore down to the same or slightly smaller diameter of the bolt, you have a steady hand, and enough clearance to get it at a decent angle it can be done pretty easily. But it really just depends on what tools you have access to and or your preferred method. Options can be a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
If the cutoff wheel is wore down to the same or slightly smaller diameter of the bolt, you have a steady hand, and enough clearance to get it at a decent angle it can be done pretty easily. But it really just depends on what tools you have access to and or your preferred method. Options can be a wonderful thing.
Exactly, I don't even own a centre punch.