TCW3 vs regular 2 stroke vs synthetic

GoldenMotor.com

Dougan

Apr 5, 2010
wisconsin
I've run one tank through my motor and I'm out of 2 stroke oil. I have a ton of TCW3 for my boat. I want to run 32:1 synthetic but I've heard that you should wait until the motor's fully broken in. Do you think I would be OK buying the synthetic for the next one? Would there be a downside to using the marine TCW3? Or should I buy more regular 2 stroke oil?

Not a huge issue, more just curious.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Your marine oil will work fine it may smoke a little. 32/1 will be fine now too. There's a lot of different idea's about break-in. I replaced my top end after 2000 miles. I broke in the new top end at full throttle as hard as I could. This top end has more power and better compression then the first ever had. The cross hone in these motors is very fine and you don't have much time to get the rings to seat. Do what you will but if you baby it too much the rings will never fully seat.

Dougan

Apr 5, 2010
wisconsin
Yeah, it sounds like there are a lot of theories floating around about breakin around here and everybody has had success with all of them. I just took the approach you're supposed to take w/ outboards-- baby it and vary the speed for awhile at the beginning until the engine noise goes away, and then after that gradually get more aggressive, and then open up the throttle periodically for short bursts, and then after awhile consider it broken in.

It was amazing how "pinging" and "ticking" type engine noises there were initially that are completely gone now, after about one tank.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I don't pretend to know a bunch about this, but I used to run a mom & pop fishing resort and had to maintain the rental outboard motors, also had a small sawmill at one time and was advised by the small engine guy up my way to not use marine oil in the chainsaw and vice verse. Now I use Opti-2 from day one on my bikes and just run em'. So far as I know, with no ill effect. No stink as I'm cutting firewood and 100-1. I know some will say "don't do that" but a lot of us here have switched over and really like it. Nothing wrong with the advise you've already gotten but I can't say for sure about the marine oil designed for a water cooled engine in an air cooled engine. As for synthetics, they are not all the same either. I used to use Amsoil sabre professional which is also rated at 100-1. Others have a richer mix. I'd say, follow the manufacturer's guidelines. Lots of different opinions on this from knowledgeable people, mechanics and such who do not agree with each other. In the end it's your call. Considering that in China they are probably using used motor oil from a truck for these little motors there's probably a lot of wiggle room.
SB

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
I've been using Walmart TCW3 for the last 15 months or so, mix about 25:1. No engine problems at all, and it's about $11/gallon. If you find anything cheaper, let me know.

I probably wouldn't run it in a Yamaha RD400, but the HT runs OK with it.