What happend to my engine?

GoldenMotor.com

FlackieDK

May 11, 2010
Denmark
Hello guys.

let me follow up on my previous tread, http://motorbicycling.com/f3/help-little-newbie-some-things-18634.html

I got it all done. I got it even turned on yesterday.

When i was driving with around 50 kph / 31 mph but suddenly there came a loud bang from the exhaust, I think.

after that it could not draw me anymore, and died out completely. ( torque dead )

Now I can run it started, but the engine has not force enough to keep me running, and then it dies again.
- It feels like when i first time should start it. First time i started it i cound not get it moving, i just dident got the torque to keep me running - but suddenly it began to drive perfektly.

What can the problem be? It drove otherwise just damn good! It makes me said.

:-||

Best Regards
FlackieDK - Denmark

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Did you break in your motor? Seems if it just got done, you would still be breaking it in. During break in I wouldn't recommend speeds over 25 just because it winds up the motor pretty high. To much oil in the gas will do that to, but I don't know about the bang you heard.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Thanks Venice the guys at bikeberry tells me to use 8oz of oil per gal of gas? Duane at thatsdax tells me to use 4oz per gal of gas? I wonder what I should use at 8000 feet?

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Seeing how your still in break in, your motors toast. Like said before, BANGs from engines are BAD. Pull off the exhaust and pull the spark plug and turn over the motor, see if the piston is damaged. If worst comes to worst you will have buy replacement parts if not a whole new motor.

From what I can guess (weak guess) you may have either cracked your piston or blew out the rings. Take a compression tester and see what you get.

:-||

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
FlackieDK,
I had a similar experience, it was obvious as the motor was winding down, that a head gasket was leaking, sounded like an exhaust leak, do the compression check to narrow it down to the top end, do one thing at a time, so you can get conclusive results. In my case, the head was not true, paid $10 for the machinist to make a "true" pass, no issues since. It's real hard for anyone to troubleshoot from 8000miles away without hearing it or visually inspecting it. Just piped in cause I had a like situation.
Good luck, keep the questions coming as you look it over, we'll get you going.
Mac