How do I remove the clutch drive gear nut & Put piston back into cylinder?

GoldenMotor.com

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
I am in the process if replacing ALL GASKETS, and SEALS in my ht engine because of some wierd problems. However, I ran into 2 problems while taking it apart. First off: How do I remove the clutch drive gear nut? What tool should I use because it is very wide for a screw driver. Also: How do I reinstall the piston back into the cylinder? Is there something special I have to do to piston rings to get them to go back inside the cylinder? because one side pokes out and the other side goes in. The piston rings are in good condition nothing wrong with it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I stuff a length of rope down the spark plug hole to stop the piston and thusly the crank from turning. Just leave plenty of rope sticking out of the cylinder head to fetch it when you are done. To unscrew the nut, I just use an old wide bladed screwdriver that I fit to the thin slot in the screw with a belt sander.
Double check that your piston ring end gaps are lined up on the piston ring locating pins inside the piston's groves.
There are actually little pins in there to prevent the rings from moving around and the ring ends snagging on a cylinder port.