U-Bolt

GoldenMotor.com

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Realized I screwed something up when I ordered my motor just now. Just found out it doesn't come with the U-Bolt for the extended frame (and I'm doing a cruiser bike). Anyone know of the measurements that the U-Bolt is supposed to be so I can just buy one at the hardware store? I can make the sheet metal piece myself (layered, of course), so I'm not too concerned about that.

Or would it be possible to simply buy extended studs, put like a 1 or 2 inch spacer on them, then the mounting hardware at the end of that? Seems like it would turn out a lot cleaner of a build that way....

Edit: It comes with that gay extended frame bolt setup pictured in the attachment instead, and i'd REALLLYY like to avoid drilling holes through my frame.

Attachments

Last edited:

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Here is one of our front mount kits that should work well for you unless you are into the DIY thing. Comes with all hardware, bracket and clamp.
Well I'm just trying to avoid paying $15 online and wait for more shipping for something I could buy locally for $3. I just don't see the point of buying basic hardware items online for 5 or 10 times the price. Not to diss these businesses: some people that live out in the sticks need that kind of service due to the rarity of a decent hardware store. But, I've got plenty to choose from where I'm at.

Edit: But thanks for the pic, now I know how snugly they're supposed to fit.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I figured I'd mention it's not the clamp - but the bracket that's the selling point, that yer gonna hafta make ;)

Alabama Fisherman

Apr 17, 2010
Calera, Alabama
I would never drill another hole in a bike frame, that is since I had one crack completely in two. I also have not come across a bike frame that the engine could be fitted into PROPERLY. All 5 that I have done needs a "front" engine mount modification among other inespensive mods.

Attachments

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I figured I'd mention it's not the clamp - but the bracket that's the selling point, that yer gonna hafta make ;)
Our front mount is a pretty good value, decently thick piece of steel (in FOUR different sizes), professionally formed (not home bent in a vise or something), all the hardware and spacers you need, plus the u-bolt selection of your choice 1 1/8"-1-7/8" - not a one size fits all slop master. Price that all out yourself.

We don't discourage people from doing stuff in their own shop/garage - in fact we encourage it! Just want to make sure the comparisons are on an even keel.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Speaking of vices.....

Ended up buying a 1 1/2" U-bolt and it didn't fit (I guess I just suck at measuring...), so I had to open it up slightly in a vice. Used 2 layers of sheet metal & the bracket that comes with the drill-through kit to re-enforce it. So 1 5/8" sounds about right.

Used an alloy crap material one because I wasn't sure of the size and I wanted to be able to fix it easily, and I'm glad i did. But I'll probably get a nice steel 1 5/8" one the next time I have an excuse to take the engine off for some reason.

Alabama Fisherman

Apr 17, 2010
Calera, Alabama
Our front mount is a pretty good value, decently thick piece of steel (in FOUR different sizes), professionally formed (not home bent in a vise or something), all the hardware and spacers you need, plus the u-bolt selection of your choice 1 1/8"-1-7/8" - not a one size fits all slop master. Price that all out yourself.

We don't discourage people from doing stuff in their own shop/garage - in fact we encourage it! Just want to make sure the comparisons are on an even keel.
Paul, your mount that you sell for what $15.00+ ship, is not only a good design, looks good and really a must on allmost all builds due to the difference in engine vs frame mounting requirements. In fact your very mount inspired me to use a mount bolted to the engine such as that. The price is very reasonable for those that can't or don't want to take the time to build one. I know even with my rough homemade mount compared to the ones you have available, I wouldn't make one for $15.00. Had I not been able to make my own, yours would of been on my list of NEED to install parts. Someone told me that the roller bracket I make or something that accomplishes the same thing should be included in the kit...so should a front tube mounting bracket. DRILL NO HOLES

skullman0956

Mar 26, 2010
Hanford Ca. 93230
Paul, your mount that you sell for what $15.00+ ship, is not only a good design, looks good and really a must on allmost all builds due to the difference in engine vs frame mounting requirements. In fact your very mount inspired me to use a mount bolted to the engine such as that. The price is very reasonable for those that can't or don't want to take the time to build one. I know even with my rough homemade mount compared to the ones you have available, I wouldn't make one for $15.00. Had I not been able to make my own, yours would of been on my list of NEED to install parts. Someone told me that the roller bracket I make or something that accomplishes the same thing should be included in the kit...so should a front tube mounting bracket. DRILL NO HOLES
Sorry, didn't mean to step on any toes, or make anyone feel butt hurt! I was just trying to help someone out who may not want to spend $15.00 + S+H and wait 3-4 days to get a mount that con be made in your garage in 15 mins.With a $2.19 U bolt from Auto Zone and a piece of 3"x3" flat steel plate with 4 holes drilled in it! my 30 something years of mechanical exp. and jobs having to make things work with nothin, I feel the comparision is on an even!!