sbp shift kit + coaster brake

GoldenMotor.com

svc

Jan 10, 2009
sydney australia
Hi all,

I'm ordering parts and thinking about my 2nd build. I have already bought a cruiser with shimano nexus 3 speed hub, that has a coaster brake attached. I want to put a sbp shift kit on there, am just unsure how this will work with the coaster brake? Anyone done it? Did you disable the coaster brake? leave it on but it doesn't work?

Thanks in advance

michaelgrav

Sep 14, 2009
sf bay area
The Schimano Nexus 3 speed hub is what I use and very dependable! If you are running a jackshaft assembly they are great as long as you don't abuse them. I currently have the same Schimano Nexus Hub but now deciding if I will spend the cash on the Nuvinci but more likely I will be going with the Sturmey Archer 8 speed interplanetary hub because the many terrains I ride on everyday.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The coaster brake will be useless with the Shift Kit. The front freewheel prevents you from actuating the coaster brake. You have 2 options. Install a real rear brake, which I would recommend anyway or I have seen a kit that will allow cable actuation of the coaster brake.

svc

Jan 10, 2009
sydney australia
Thanks for the info, do you have a link for that cable kit Ghost0? sounds like a great solution. Also, any idea's when the HD shift kit will be available again?
Thanks again.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I do not have a link to the cable actuator.

I just spoke to our supplier and it looks like we will have the HD Freewheels by the 3/13/10.

svc

Jan 10, 2009
sydney australia
Thanks,

You will be hearing from me soon about a shift kit and a few bits and pieces. If anyone knows anything about cable actuator for coaster brake, i'd love to hear from you. I can't get anything out of google.