Porting advice

GoldenMotor.com

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
Hello

I would just like some pointers and advice when it comes to doing port work as I have not yet done any. In particular I would like to know the following but anything that anyone with experience can chip in would be great.

I have a dremel but, would like to know what attachments I should use?

On the edges should I be finishing with radii or chamfers?

Is it inlet slightly rough finish for the better atomisation and the exhaust wants a smooth tract?

Do I polish the inside of the piston?

Thank you

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A good way to start & practice your skill is to 'match port' the intake & exaust manifolds. Make the transitions between the manifold & cylinder ports flow smooth.
Don't mess with the engine ports until you know what you're doing! ;)

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have the billet intake from Pirate, and reamed it further, and a new NTS speed carb on the way. (The stock gasket covers much of the billet port area so I've cut my own.)

I may have ordered a CNS carb, but according to Spooky, an included two milimeter adaptor is required- that seems like it would cut the porting back down to standard, so they recommend porting the motor- but the intake stays the same, because it's adapted smaller (???)

Anyway, it looks like what is needed is in fact a larger billet to accomodate the larger port fitting on the CNS carb.

I haven't tried anything out yet, so it's just speculation. Could run WORSE for all I know. I've just put the billet on, and am going to test with the same old stock carb, to try each variable independently. Then I'll try the new NTS carb, and it that works better, I'll probably ream the ports on the old carb, just as an improvement.

The ports on the motor are actually larger than the standard intakes already. They match the billet port well on that end. I got my 66 motor last spring, so I'm not sure how standard that is. But to dremel anymore on the motor looks non-productive, unless the intake or billet and carb also have larger ports to accomodate it.

Last edited:

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
A good way to start & practice your skill is to 'match port' the intake & exaust manifolds. Make the transitions between the manifold & cylinder ports flow smooth.
Don't mess with the engine ports until you know what you're doing! ;)
Thanks venice, I havnt really any intention of opening up the ports yet. The barrel I have is brand new and has alot of flash in the ports that I just wanted to clean off, this inevitably means I will need to refinsh a few surfaces and edges etc... hence the need to know about how to finish edges and what finish the ports need aswell as what tools I use. I'm going to skim the head to raise the compression and match the ports while I am on. I have an old barrel to practice my dremel skills on so I will try not to damage the new barrel. It is a pocket bike motor that I am working on so parts are cheap If I do make a woopsy.