spark plug gap

GoldenMotor.com

gian

Jun 30, 2009
vancouver
is there anyone who could help me to find the correct spark plug gap, i dont have tools for measuring the gap ,maybe i could use any cards but i dont know what are their thickness

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i run mine at .30, too. there's no accurate way to measure without a gapper or some feeler guages.

you can walk into any auto parts store and they usually have a candy jar full of plug gapper wheels on the counter. they're like a buck or 2.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I haven't seen any real performance difference in small or big gap on these engines either...
From what I know, a smaller gap is suppossed to be better for higher RPM's & a bigger gap is better for low RPM & idle quality.

I just run mine on the big side, (but not too big) because I figure a bigger spark spark equals a better burn... :D

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
There is a significant difference between small and large gap. In dyno testing large gap gives measureable increase in performance (saw this myself) but fouls easier. Small gap runs better with fouled plug but slightly less power.

When plug gets dirty and misfires I've got home by knocking the gap down. Also had to decrease gap during experiments with light on the white wire.

I use any old piece of Harbor Freight stainless safety wire (.031") laying around to gap mine.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
here is some thing I do to the china spark plugs and I run a gap of 0.017 to 0.020 on them.
I was told abut this by a guy who does chain saw racing says it uncovers the flame Kernel for better combustion does it work? Beats me I do it for fun.
If you guys want to build a dyno testing system there is plans on the net to make one using a hyd.pump and assorted material I think it was on a racing kart forum I've see it and down loaded the plans years ago but never did make it. I guess I should have. I'll try to do some looking and see if I can find a link you guys might be able to do the same if your wanting info on a homemade dyno.