Carburetor Throttle Cap Trouble

GoldenMotor.com

thatguyjay

Nov 27, 2012
Sacramento
Hi guys, this is my first post. I've got a brand new 80cc engine and I can't get the throttle cable into the carb.

I'm sorry I'm not good with the terms but I will use the right terms if you guys tell me.

That part that's circled in the picture is where the throttle cable goes down to go to the part inside with the pin that sets the fuel / air mix. It screws off of the part that looks like a cap.

The problem is that the hole is too small for the cable to go into.

(Gotta love these cheap china parts.)

The dealer I bought it from said I can send that top part back and he'd drill the hole bigger but I'm thinking that's a kind of hack approach. I'd rather buy a replacement of just that part but I can't find anyone online selling individual carb parts.

What advice can you give? Any help is appreciated.

PS. I have some basic tools but no workbench or vise. I wasn't planning on having to fabricate or modify parts just to install the kit....

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
1 of 2 things could be wrong here.

Without seeing the end of the cable personally, I gotta ask: Is the little metal cable end larger than normal? Perhaps a cable factory failure?
Will the cable end fit properly up into the receiving hole in the bottom of the carburetor slide?

If not then you need to carefully file it down to a smaller diameter that will fit snugly.
Then it too should be able to fit through the threaded adjuster.

Now onto the threaded adjuster...
When it was made did the factory leave a metal burr inside the hole?
When the threads were machined into the outside of it did they accidentally roll the smaller end slightly closed?

If the cable end fits into the slide well and the threaded adjuster's hole is too small then drilling out the adjuster would be the fix.

It's not right that you have to fix it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Every kit I've built has had this problem. Simply file the end down till it fits through or drill the adjusted slightly bigger. Not a hack, just a fix.

thatguyjay

Nov 27, 2012
Sacramento
thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it because I'm more of an IT guy than a gear-head.

I did in fact inspect the end of the cable and the hole for burrs and there weren't, even so I sprayed some WD40 to make sure it was smooth.

It fits right in the slide and seats well if I could get it through the part in the picture. The end actually goes in about half way from either side too....

That's what's so frustrating.

I guess in some way I feel a little better knowing other people have had the problem, but then it really speaks to the problems with chinese parts.

SO the million dollar question is which method is "best". File the tip on the cable or drill out the part? Seems there is nothing that I could just replace the part with?

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it because I'm more of an IT guy than a gear-head.

I did in fact inspect the end of the cable and the hole for burrs and there weren't, even so I sprayed some WD40 to make sure it was smooth.

It fits right in the slide and seats well if I could get it through the part in the picture. The end actually goes in about half way from either side too....

That's what's so frustrating.

I guess in some way I feel a little better knowing other people have had the problem, but then it really speaks to the problems with chinese parts.

SO the million dollar question is which method is "best". File the tip on the cable or drill out the part? Seems there is nothing that I could just replace the part with?
I drill mine out. There is a burr left inside the adjuster screw from machining that the factory always misses. I've filed a few cable ends down but it takes longer than a drill. Be careful if you drill it, the bit can grab and spin easily. Use a vise or clamps of some sort.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I agree with "drill it".

DO NOT hold the adjuster in your fingers!
If the bit catches and grabs the adjuster you will run a very good chance of drilling through one of your fingers.
Ask me how I know... :oops:

I recommend clamping an appropriate sized socket in a bench vice and setting the adjuster in the socket, threaded end first passing through the socket, hex end poking up and out of the socket. This way you run no chance of buggering up the threads on it or squeezing it out of round. This method will also work if all you have is Vice Grips to hold the socket with.
Run the drill slow and feed it in slow until you are through.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Was that really the only part you had to modify? I had to make several fixes to my bike and the China doll before it would work properly. On the carb for example, I had to insert a spacer in that sleeve in order to functionally extend the throttle cable (outer sleeve). I learned that trick from someone on this forum! Good luck with your fix and keep us posted.

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Was that really the only part you had to modify? I had to make several fixes to my bike and the China doll before it would work properly. On the carb for example, I had to insert a spacer in that sleeve in order to functionally extend the throttle cable (outer sleeve). I learned that trick from someone on this forum! Good luck with your fix and keep us posted.
Well it's not a modification, but I always pull the jug on new kits and check for casting debris and junk in the motor, as well as checking the small helical drive gear screw for tightness. I also grease the drive gears, clutch arm and bucking ball & bar. I clean out the carb and gas tank before I assemble new kits and ALWAYS use a fuel filter too.

supercub

Nov 1, 2012
New London, CT
I treated it a box of used parts that had to be sorted out. Removed cylinder, deburred sharp edges on piston and ports. Resurfaced the head and the top of the cylinder with #320 emery cloth on a granite stone. Straightened out the studs and used new washers and grade 5 nuts. Made all new gaskets out of auto parts store gasket material except head gasket- brought a spare from the chinaman. Cleaned the carb and tank, lined the tank with kreem. Used kreem to seal the petcock to the tank. Used a better plug.

thatguyjay

Nov 27, 2012
Sacramento
to post the resolution, I got a 1/8" metal drill bit at home depot for 3 dollars and used a pair of vise grips to hold it. Task was done in short order, now it fits through and I'm off to the next problem of figuring out the throttle and clutch assembly.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I wasn't planning on having to fabricate or modify parts just to install the kit....
You might as well give up then. You can't install a kit without modifying and fabricating some parts. After you finally get it installed there's going to be a lot of teething problems to deal with. Honestly it doesn't sound like you're really up for this, but sometimes ignorance is bliss.

The easiest way to solve your immediate problem is to run a drill through the hole. Don't file the cable end. A new NT carb is about $13, but it might be exactly like the one you already have.

My advise is take it very slow, and ask a lot of questions.

thatguyjay

Nov 27, 2012
Sacramento
You might as well give up then. You can't install a kit without modifying and fabricating some parts. After you finally get it installed there's going to be a lot of teething problems to deal with. Honestly it doesn't sound like you're really up for this, but sometimes ignorance is bliss.

The easiest way to solve your immediate problem is to run a drill through the hole. Don't file the cable end. A new NT carb is about $13, but it might be exactly like the one you already have.

My advise is take it very slow, and ask a lot of questions.
OK, I already responded that's what I did (drill it out). When I bought the kit the seller said it was very easy and I wouldn't have to modify parts. That's where the expectation came from -the guy who charged me $300+ for a kit that constantly needs extra parts and modifications. Your tone doesn't seem very helpful talking about "you're not up for it, give up now etc"

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
OK, I already responded that's what I did (drill it out). When I bought the kit the seller said it was very easy and I wouldn't have to modify parts. That's where the expectation came from -the guy who charged me $300+ for a kit that constantly needs extra parts and modifications. Your tone doesn't seem very helpful talking about "you're not up for it, give up now etc"
Sorry, don't take what I said personal. It sounds like you're determined, and that's always a plus.