Chain Tensioner Ideas? Panama Jack

GoldenMotor.com

Chickenegg787

Jan 19, 2012
New York
Hello everyone, This is my first post and first build. This past summer I purchased everything I needed to get on the road and start riding. I put everything together on my Panama Jack Huffy cruiser bicycle and even panited it to look completely radical. :)

Since the first day of riding, I ran into issues with the chain and tensioner. I could never get it right! Either the chain would fall off, the chain would snap, a link would get completely disfigured, or the tensioner would realign its self losening the chain. It was very frustrating. After riding it up and down the street back and forth between the street sign and my garage, brining my wrench and pliars with me adjusting the tensioner, I finally though I got it in the right spot. I went to ride via canal to our town's village and about 5 min into the ride, the chain broke leaving me to ride back with the clutch down the whole way home. I ordered a new chain and attempeted to re-align the tensioner. I made one successful trip to a location and back that was about 5 miles away going close to max speed. After, however, the same issues occurred and my patience was lost. Its winter now and too cold for me to work on it, but I'd like to start gathering the resources to finally complete my build and utilize my motor bike before spring. CAN ANYONE HELP? OR GIVE SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO>>>??? I really would appreciate it.

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
Something to check "to me sounds like" your rear sprocket is not centered on you wheel? I had a similar trouble with mine and that was the cure? But after seeing the other fixes I will be changing mine like that ! Thanks and good luck

Chickenegg787

Jan 19, 2012
New York
Thanks so much everyone, these are great tools that I can use...I'm definately going to re-mount the rear sproket and see if that helps too.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't use them- they're heavy and finicky-

If you have a derailleur, then that tensions the pedal side. I have another build with a single frewwheel. I set the motor chain first and you have a larger chance of getting it into a workable rear droput position- not too forward and not too far back- without having to use a 1/2 link there, than not.

If you have a single cog on the pedal side, try to equal that up when you've got the motor side reasonably centered in the dropout.- you more likely may have to use a 1/2 link on that side to even it up-getting it absolutely perfect can be tricky- and new chains DO STRETCH and may need readjusting for that. But it's easier to split and work with the pedal chain sizes and half links come in both 1/8" and 3/32 sizes. A slight bit of slack will work on the pedal side- but not all that much- and your chainwheels and cog have to be straight and in line.

You have a cruiser I guess and usually there's enough clearnce to just DROP the tensioner- the smaller the sprocket you use the better also- a 36 or 34 has no clearance problems on a normal cruiser frame. Above a 44 you might not clear the frame stays as well.

heres a Micargi Cruiser and a 34 sprock- no clearnce issues at all, and the derailleur takes up slack on the pedal side.

Attachments

Last edited: