5000+ mile trip!!

GoldenMotor.com

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
alrighty, I am going to embark on a "little" trip here.

I live in NC, and my girlfriend is going into the Air Force. She leaves for BMT mid February. Since I am just going to go crazy without her, I plan on keeping myself "busy" by going to the Florida Keys and then making it to San Antonio TX for her graduation. (in 8 weeks) I always wanted to go, but never had an excuse to leave my family or a means of getting there for that matter. (19, no car, (don't want a car))

I have been riding my DAX friction drive with a Honda GX-35 around for quite some time.. I really enjoy it, nice bike, good pull. (At least for me, being no more than 150 lbs) I have put a few thousand miles on it and that four stroke is a good motor, BUT, I am not taking that with me on the trip. Sure it can climb small hills and pull a small trailer, but i need something more versatile for the trip.

So i have been looking at the Staton NuVinci drive system and I gotta say, I like the concept! Having gears and being able to keep a good cadence (something you CANT do with the friction drive) is a huge plus! Especially with a good sized trailer behind me. The platform for the setup is undecided but it will be a hard-tail, with disc breaks. (If I can make it jive with the lower strap mounting of the kit. If not, well, a good front drum and a rear V break might do.)

As for the motor, that's where I need some help. I have the GX-35, but do you guys think it could handle running for 5 to 6 hours a day in the heat day in and day out? I started to look at 2 strokes but I am just not sure. They have less parts and I wouldn't have to change the oil every 300 to 500 miles.

What do you guys think about my intended setup? I am skeptical of spending so much time on a mountain bike, (5 to 6 hours a day) but if something goes wrong a standard type of frame is (in my eyes) easier to fix than a recumbent type bike. Plus, they are quite expensive and mounting would be more difficult.

I personally feel it will be solid, however, the thing I love about my friction drive is it will work regardless, just so long as its not too wet outside and the motor runs. Anyone ever had problems with statons gearboxes?

I want to enjoy my ride, not fix it every hundred miles like I had to do my 66cc HT engine i had before my DAX friction drive.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
hi Jon, looks like quite an adventure!

I have no doubt your GX35 can take the rigors of an extended trip. Like most 4-strokes, it's an industrial/commercial-rated engine. It has an iron cylinder liner and active cooling - must-haves for an engine that's going to be run all day. HTs don't have that stuff.

As for your cadence issues, why not just put on larger crank sprocket(s)? You can easily find em online, no matter what the BCD is on your MTB cranks. You won't have to change your setup, just chainrings and possibly reposition front derailleur.

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
see, currently i have my friction on a 24 inch single speed. a sun revolutions in fact. nuthin wrong with the setup at all for just around town.

i am getting a new setup so i can be absolutely sure that i will be able to take whats dished to me, what with bridge rises and all.

the 2 strokes i was looking at were the industrial type. like the Tanaka Pure Fire PF-4000. in fact, Staton sells this engine with the kit. As well it has about .4 horses more than my GX-35.

its probably just a matter of convenience then if you think the GX-35 can handle it.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Road trip! Great idea!

Your engine WILL make the trip, the perfect choice. Your friction drive is NOT the perfect choice. Neither is your single-speed 24" bike. If I were me, I'd choose at least a used quality-brand 26" dual-suspension mountain bike w/24 speed. I'd also use a 4-liter fuel tank and an 18-oz reserve bottle.

See if you can find the new(obsolete) BMP belt or chain drive. JMO, that would be a good choice. The Staton/NuVinci MIGHT be the ultimate choice. I have one, It is EXTREMELY weight-biased towards the rear. However, if you'll be changing a lot of flat tires on the trip, the NV hub is VERY heavy. Up to you.

Ya might want to look at the GEBE setup. I never had one, but many people swear by them.

My favorite choice would be what I ride now. It is a center-framed Scooterguy with a Tanaka engine. It runs thru an 8-speed derailleur via shift kit.

My ultimate setup would be a twin-engined setup, with a front engine running thru a BMP chain drive @ 18.75:1 gears. The front engine would be electric start and used only against strong headwinds and long, steep hills or mountain passes. That way, the engine could be started up on the fly, when the need arose, without pulling over and hand starting the engine.

LOL about my ultimate option.

Keep in touch along the way. There will be many members who can assist you or ride part of the way w/you.

Plan wisely, and good luck.drn2

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
5000 miles is a substantial undertaking in a car. A couple of thought exercises might be to imagine you wanted to ride a pedal bicycle set up for long distance touring, what kind of bike and how would it be prepared for your needs? Now imagine doing it on a motorcycle, what quality assurances would you think you'd need to consider in making your choices?

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
well, on a regular bicycle i would need it to be light, really light... also i would need as many bag and rack options as possible if i wasn't going to pull a trailer. (which i wouldn't on a regular bicycle) as well, lodging would be a larger issue... my clothing choices would be limited to light, tight fitting styles.... the bike, that would be a generic road bike, thin tubing, thin tires, high psi, that whole thing... the stuff that cuts down on drag and resistance..

on a motorcycle, well that's a different story, it has to be big and comfortable, i would be pulling a trailer then. i would want a bike with a large displacement. the bike would have to undergo a serious inspection beforehand, making sure everything is proper. i would want to ride around with the trailer loaded to get a better feel for it.

i see what you are saying, treat it as both kinda...

i should probably be worrying about weight more than i am currently... although, that nuvinci setup is pretty sweet.. i think that the weight of the nuvinci is justifiable for the gear opportunities and the cadence. (as i do plan on pedaling with the motor to help with longevity) as well, this bike will still serve me after the trip is said and done as i literally do not plan on owning a car untill i absolutly HAVE to. this means that i have to think about how i want my commuter to be also.

the one thing i don't like about my sun friction drive is how i am sitting, its a cruiser so i sit upright, but i tend to slouch allot so i need something where i am leaning forward a bit. i really think a hard tail mountain bike is my best bet... i looked in my local bike shop today and found a Diamondback Outlook the 2011 model. its got a thin frame, standard size pretty much everything so fixing small things will be easy... it has v-breaks, so i would probably put a front drum and keep the rear.

i already have plans for the trailer and somewhat know how i am going to mount it. the trailer will be made of nothing but .25" plywood and angle aluminum. it will be about 3'x3' to accommodate my tent-cot and will sit just a few inches from the ground to give it excellent center of gravity.

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
i have been looking around online at other kits..

the EZM kit seems to be a pretty solid setup, plus it is in frame, that gives me the ability to have my disc breaks and have room for a rear rack. that said i would lose my shifting abilities.... BUT my cadence is not compromised...

i proceeded to look at the 4G with shift kit... kinda like having your cake and eating it too i suppose... but, as much as i love tinkering, this is not for me... i have heard a few things about it online and i don't want to risk it. (now im sure some of you will swear by it but i need the whole story to be swayed that way)

i like the in frame idea, especially since my hitch is currently installed on my friction drive bracket and its a good hitch design, i would hate to see it go away because that's where my gearbox has to be ya know? of course, it can always be redesigned but whatever, either way...

just as long as the in frame 4 stroke mounting bracket is solid and reliable. on my HT kit the mounting bolts would snap off leaving half in the case... that's why i went to a rack mounted drive in the first place. that plus just about everything else about the kit, ya know, spent a whole summer taking that thing apart and putting it back together... it seized on me once for no apparent reason, found a part of a ring friction-welded to the jug. had a h#!! of a time gettin that apart..

regardless, solid and reliable, little maintenance, that's what im goin for. if i do an in frame 4 stroke i would have to change the oil, anyone know if that's fairly easy with the HS or Honda motor?

someone is probably going to tell me that all these kits require maintenance and nothing is for sure, and i understand that, im just looking for what will give me the least trouble.

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
so i have spoken with both terry (again sorry for waking you) and lee about my plans. terry said he wouldent do it on a bike, he would get say a honda scooter or something like that. lee on the other hand, he said that he would take the EZM kit. he seemed really strong about it too. perhaps it is because i am gullible (just a bit) but i am seeing a single speed as a viable option, with a honda 50cc running at max torqe i see no reason why it cant pull a trailer just fine. plus, i will still have all my gears to pedel with so thats a plus. as well my rear is free for my hitch and "saddle bags" if wanted.

of course, the price will be paid but that was expected, i am treating this as if it were going to be my sole mode of transportation.

i think i am over thinking it all and just need to pick something and go from there...

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I'm glad you took my comments above in the spirit they were intended. You are contemplating a trip of far outside average proportions and while it is doable and could be a terrific adventure it is also well within the parameters for misery and discomfort to be unwelcome and constant travel companions. I'd suggest doing as much research as you can and certainly don't leave out the pedal bicycle touring sites, in a very real sense you'll find more specific info there about touring and routes than the motor biking sites. One among many is: America's Bicycle Travel Inspiration & Resource - Adventure Cycling Association

And then there's this guy: http://thirstybike.org/, 15,000 mile trip planned with a Robin35 and Staton shift kit

Average putting around motorized biking is one thing, pedal bicycle touring is another. Motorized bike touring is different still and an endeavor in large part unexplored with not of a lot of solid, experienced, info to go around.

I mention this because much of the info or advice garnered off of the web will pertain to areas of interest that you have adapt to your own needs. Generally motored bikes are made with little concern about how they pedal, are heavy, many are concerned only with how fast they'll go and they are often constrained by constant tinkering and parts failure and thus most don't put many sustained miles on them in a continuous run like in touring. They are used primarily for putting around locally within striking distance of home base for fixing when needed. Heading out on the open road is another matter.

The folks I know who do self-contained distance MAB touring don't seem to frequent the forums much but the best piece of advice I've seen lately came from WileyDavis who does extreme touring and does comes around on occasion:

My general advice is this, treat your tour like a regular bicycle tour, expect to pedal most of the time. if you do this, you'll get a lot of exercise and your butt will hurt less, and you'll realize how rad MB touring is because you end up averaging 20mph, rather than 12.
Best piece of advice you can get right there and it's good that it seems to fit your outlook as I read you mention pedaling cadence. Too many I believe think unrealistically that a MAB is going to do it all for them.

Get a bike that you are comfortable on, one that is both fits you and you like to pedal because that's the basic idea with a self-contained touring MAB. If not a small motorcycle or scooter would be a better bet.

More random thoughts for further conversation and dialog in no particular order

Weight is the enemy of the distance tourer. Consider well what you can do and do without. Saving a few ounces here, a pound there adds up because ultimately it becomes a power to weight ratio equation. If you have belongings you want but won't need on the trip until the other end, consider shipping them freight.

I've done thousands of miles of pedal bicycle touring and more recently over past 4 years gotten into power assisted bikes. We did a tour on MABs on the coast of Maine this summer, 380 miles one way planned route, ended up a bit over 800 miles round trip with side travel.

Wheels, can't say enough about it and the first thing I would say is invest in good wheels with adequate gauge spokes with quality hubs and maintain them meticulously, I had a bearing race go bad on a rear wheel this trip because I didn't.

Tires and tubes, use the best you can afford. I also use tire liners and thorn proof tubes. 800 miles and no flats, a first.

Trailer, don't know what you have in mind but I love the single wheel I have. It's the Bob style knock-off from Nashbar I picked up used for $50 and reworked the hitch it and swapped out the wheel with an upgrade. A trailer flag is a pretty darn good addition.

Fuel is heavy, depending how well planned your route and daily mileage will determine how much you need to carry and what size tank(s).

Lighting. There's no end what you can spend on quality bicycle lighting but minimum for daytime travel I wouldn't go without a multi-mode red in the rear and white nano strobe in front. If you are going to do ANY night riding then serious upgrades need to be considered.

A center kickstand is a great asset on a touring bike, especially with cargo.

Travel tools. There are some adequate multi-tools though generally I don't care for them. They are convenient without a lot of weight but still I prefer to put together my own minimalist kit with a eye toward size and weight but that do just about anything on a bike up to complete overhaul.

One further thought before I forget it.....though I like friction drives for many uses I have been of the mind they weren't the best for touring. The chances of encountering wet weather in some locales doing extended touring is high. The inverse of that is long days of hot weather which can speed tire wear and transfer a lot of heat to bearings and engine crankshaft. That said, it should be noted that one of the long ride guys I mentioned above who doesn't frequent forums much has, for himself anyway, certainly put some of that to rest. He's done mega tours up the continental divide (in obvious dry climates) from New Mexico to Idaho and back on a friction drive/Robin 35 bike (no trailer) and had a great time with it.

Best of luck and ride safe.

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
happyvalley

Some good tips for sure.

jon, You will most likely drive right past my place on Hy 90, or less than 3 miles away if you travel Mobile Hy. My son lives S of Ocala, Fl, another rest spot for you. He mite take you fishing as he goes 3 times a week or more!!

The one wheel Bob style trailers would be best for a long trip`s and traffic.

Many of us will be watching for your posts.

Ron

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I will throw in my 2 cents. Just had a 100+mi round robin on Tuesday. Beautiful day, beautiful country, couldnt stop. I have been working on a set up for a 500mi one way trip, a far cry from 5000! I have 2 bikes set up, one a recumbent, the other a dual suspension MTB, both with trailer hitches to pull a single wheel trailer. The recumbent is very comfortable, has front suspension and a sprung seat, but I almost always find myself on the MTB. This bike is still under a governed throttle. Its a set it and forget it, adds necessary throttle on the hills and backs off on the down side, and holds a constant on the flats. This removes a lot of work load over a long period. My bike is an FD. The only draw back I can see is wet road performance, and I have an emergency set up for that. What I experience with this bike is 100% reliability. Its fairly heavy as fitted, which I favor, as I believe it improves the ride/roadholding. Its not difficult to pedal if the need arises. I have been evaluating these two all summer, and feel with a complete go over either one is cross country capable. I have a 49cc HS 4G shifter bike. Works well but I never venture far from home because of its complexity. May never give trouble but the odds are against that. I have other bikes of various drive configurations. But if Im going far from home its on one of the FDs. FDs are not for everyone, but a well designed/built one is a great traveler.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Ben
Did not think of you sissor lift friction machine and the cool diy trailer. That could be a great system for him. Some extra tires, tubes, liners, rollers and a few tools would not fill two cigar box`s. Add extra gas, he would be in great shape and easy to pedal with the rear engine.

What kind of fuel milage would you guess, 150 mpg? I think Elmo gets that with his Harbor Freight engine. The Pm i sent you got messed up, covered by the old guys pic.

jon
Have you seen cannonball2 builds, they are all clean and neat, he has been at it for many yrs. Would be a lot better than the hd stuff i mentioned. He use`s a very simular motor though, and should be trouble free and changing oil is easier then mixing 2 stroke fuel for 5000 miles. Maybe cheaper also.
Ron

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
wow, i am a bit overwhelmed with everyone's thoughts and tips about the trip. and i gotta say, i was heading in the complete wrong direction i think.

let me just start over with a clean slate and a better understanding...

i understand the need for a light setup, i think that most of that weight can be reduced in the trailer though. as for the bike, there's no doubt about it, it HAS to be comfortable to sit and pedal regardless. that said, i need a drive that will be powerful enough to pull the trailer at a good speed at the motors max torque line. i WILL be pedal assisting through those headwinds and up those hills, along with a good portion of the way.

this bike will not only serve as my trip bike but my regular commuter afterwards so i will be riding it without a trailer afterwards. that said the bike DOES need to have SOME heft to it so i'm not just a piece of paper in the wind..

the trailer will hold things such as my laptop computer, Kamp-Rite Compact Collapsable Tent Cot, extra fuel, food, clothing, places for tools, air pump, tubes, first aid kit, other things i cant remember right now.... allot of the smaller things can be mounted on frame or in a rear bag if the drive system does not bother it.

regardless, its quite a bit... i would need a two wheeled trailer with a low center of gravity. originally, the trailer was going to be at least 3' wide, this was due to the fact that i was going to go with a different tent-cot that folded up to 3'x3'x6". now i see that i only need about two feet maximum. since the cot i am currently going with is four feet long i need to accommodate that either on the inside or plan for it to be strapped to the top. it will have regular bicycle wheels attached by some dropouts i will cut into some angle iron (that stuff is heavy, what about thick angle aluminum?)

all of this said i still have allot of research to do about just about everything. i would like to get it running quickly so i can put a few thousand miles on it before the big trip to work out kinks.

the people here are amazing and i am looking forward to the input of some people with extensive experience with the GEBE, EZM, and Staton drive systems as these are the only systems i would consider using.

trying to look at things objectively and weighing the pros and cons of everything as opposed to "just doin it MY way." you guys are experienced and i would be smart to listen to you.

also, seeing and feeling a kit is allot different than just reading and looking at it, i am arranging to meet Lee Guenther soon to take a look at the EZM shortly, if anyone is around the North-East NC area and has some free time i would love to see your setup, especially if you own a GEBE or Staton kit. there might even be some rice krispies involved... :D

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
the GEBE, EZM, and Staton drive systems as these are the only systems i would consider using.
Good post Jon and IMO you're right on the mark with the choices you've narrowed down and won't go wrong with any of them. I own two of those, the third I don't but is from a local guy down your way with a very good rep. The good thing all three keep it a bicycle, 50cc or under, and you'll avoid most potential legal problems.

Most of time I usually avoid making outright suggestions to folks on what to get, preferring instead to suggest they read and research to come up with their own ideas on what might be best for them and their particular needs. It's also a very good idea you have to try and get some test rides in if you have the chance. Since you asked though, for the trip I did this summer I used my GEBE/RS35 bike and it performed incredibly well.

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Florida temps. for February, depending on location, will range from the mid 40's in the early morning to upper 70's in the afternoon. You will be going through Florida on your way to Key West using either US-1 or A1A. Both will be giving you winds off the Atlantic. Couple the winds to the 40's and very damp air you will want to be dressed with warm clothing. Once the sun is up the temps. will rise very fast. Get a rain coat of some type. You will need it.

Make a list of members along your route just in case you need some help with something. Maybe even an over night stay. Example: I live about 200 yards off of US-1. I could put you up for the night with no problem. Plus free food!!

Terry

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I just thought of something else. When you plane the exact route see if you can find out if it has a bike lane. That would be nice to have. I "think" US-1 in Florida and A1A has a bike lane in all or most sections.

Terry

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wow, bike lanes! We only have them in the metro areas. All my riding is rural. Heres comes some advice on the trailer. If you can bring yourself to consider a one wheeler, you will be better off as far as cars negociating you from behind. In the thousands of miles of riding, I have never had an altercation with a driver. Thats because when I see a car approaching from behind, I get on the white line, they appreciate this. In the event of an unexpected meeting of an on comming car there is room for us all of us to suqeeze by, might not happen with a two wheel trailer as you are displaced to the left some. This is not so much of a problem when touring in a group where the driver might have to slow down to deal with it, but when a lone rider, you get passed fast and need to keep as much of yourself as possible out of the way! Here is my trailer. Kinda hokey, but it works well and was basically free. For touring I stack another box on top and hinge it with cable ties. The camping stuff goes inside, and tires, bigger stuff, and even an extra wheel or two goes on top. I tested it with 2 trolling batteries totaling over 80lbs and it was not to bad to handle. I doubt I would exceed 40lbs when in use. Lost the trailer link will post it later.

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
you all make such good points! i will have to look into the GEBE system more, perhaps i will call them up and see if they think that the system could handle it, get the info from the manufacturer too ya know?

and Terry, you do make excellent points about the weather, cold and then warming up plus the kinetic energy of my pedaling, sounds ....delightful, lol, i know the trip wont be all peaches and creme, but i WILL have a blast that's for sure!

i was looking on Google maps
i love me some Google maps, a simple street view will tell you if there are bike lanes or large shoulders to ride on. i do plan on taking 1A as much as possible on the way down. i just checked and i don't know if it is a bike lane or not but it does look like there is room outside the white line for me.

i see what you are saying about the one wheeler, i should start looking into designing one, that way its exactly as big as i need, however, i like the idea of just having a box i can throw everything in.

i think i should just get all the stuff i am going to carry with me and see the exact size it needs to be and exactly what i need then go from there. that's probably a better idea anyways.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
you all make such good points! i will have to look into the GEBE system more, perhaps i will call them up and see if they think that the system could handle it.
Sounds like a wonderful adventure.

The GEBE system will handle it (but is does cost more). I have the GEBE with the Tanka 32 engine. I have ridden it over 5000 miles (over more than a year) without a single breakdown (not counting flat tires). It is described in the thread below.

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/build-reliability-comfort-long-distances-big-23334.html