I did almost a 400 mile round trip from sudbury to timmins and back again

GoldenMotor.com

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Well i went on another tour on my mb bike again and this time it was out to timmins and back again. I left at 7:00 a.m. in the morning and arrived at the watershed gas station at around 7:00 p.m. that eve and i covered around 198 k.m. the first day out. I spent the night at a hunting camp out in behind the watershed gas station and i took off the very next morning at around 8:30 a.m. and headed out the rest of the way out to timmins which was another 197 k.m. to go. I arrived in timmins later on that day at around 3:30 p.m. in the afternoon. All in all it took me 12 hours to get out from sudbury to the watershed gas station and another 8 hours from there to timmins, and my average riding speed was around 17 to 19 m.p.h. and i was averaging around 140 miles to the gallon in gas carrying around 87 l.b.s of gear with me here's some pic's of my road trip.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Heres some more pics of my road trip to timmins on day one and as you could see how bleak the highway 144 looks in the bush country, also some other pic's as well of my camp that i set up after i arrived at the watershed gas station, sorry that the pic's didn't turn out to well in the low level of light that i took them in. There's also pic's of where i stayed just before i took off that morning.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Here's some pic's of the watershed gas station the very next morning where i stopped over for the eve. The last pic is the road on the way out the rest of the way to timmins.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Heres some pic's of a rest stop area on the way out to timmins just some 300 ft. from the watershed gas station.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
heres some more pic's of just before reaching the highway 101 turn off and just arriving to it just before arriving to timmins.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Here's some more pic's just as i'm arriving into timmins just before hitting downtown which was another some 25 k.m. to go.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
I have never been to any of those places but it looks like you had a grand adventure! You must of built your bike well to travel such a distance in such a short amount of time. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

BADBOOH

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
I also did some touring around timmins while i was there during my one day stay out there. I traveled out to south porcupine from downtown where i stayed in timmins ,which was some 40 k.m. from there, here's some pic's of it and also some pic's of the people i stayed with while i was out there.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Here's some pic's of the return trip back home , which took me 7 hours to get to the watershed gas station from timmins and i spent the eve there again.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Here's somore pic's of my stay num.2 at the watershed gas station on the way back home,this is my camp.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Here's some more pic's of my return trip back home when i left the watershed at around 7:00 a.m. in the morning and some shots of the road.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
The last set of pic's just as i arrived to sudbury some 12 hours later.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Goes to show you what a well built bike can do. Our little band of Denver area riders do 60 and 70 miles trips together occasionally. We seldom have mechanical problems and that really enhances the fun factor.

Thanks, Whelan, for sharing your experience with us. It's certainly inspiring. Keep building those miles. Have fun, ride safe.
Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Awesome cruise! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Here's a map reference for everyone, to show how far of a cruise that actually is.

The "A" is Timmins, he started in Sudbury(directly south):
timmins - Google Maps

Now that's confidence in a build.

*kowtows*

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Wow. That'd be like me traveling the whole way across Ohio. Awesome journey, man!
Now here's something for me to try once the kids are grown and gone. When I was single, I used to do similar stuff (not quite on this scale though - yet).

SrtBrad

Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I thought I went on long trips......... WOW. So what exactly have you done to your engine and mechanical setup to make it that reliable. I've had problem after problem with my bike. Most the problems are minor but I've already seized one engine in a 35 mile mile trip WOT. I had the Raw Motors engine then. I have the GT5 now.