Predator 79cc Won't Start,

GoldenMotor.com
I finally got the engine mounted and everything more or less solid.

But now the engine won't start.
I seem to get a good jolt with the plug wire, so it should be giving a decent spark. I suppose the next step is to make absolutely sure about this, but I don't think this is the prob.
It has gas in the tank.
I've only used the engine for maybe 3 miles (5 km). I stopped it when I realized the pulley was broke (now replaced).

The arrangement has little to do with the engine, but I'll explain. The engine is on a ladder that pivots (under seat a bit forward, see the bolt with the large washers) on the bike frame. The clutch is accomplished by using the clutch handle to move the engine & roller off and on the rear tire.
The white tube in the rear is just fall protection for the engine.
The brown almost vertical tube just holds up the engine, keeping the clutch disengaged, temporarily for riding with a dead engine.
The red tape is something I just put on. I was adding insulation.
The sheet metal covers the hot muffler.
The white rollers keep the ladder in position when needed, but it's pretty strong.

But the problem is that it won't start.
When I pull the start cord, it feels like decent compression.

Could the valves be bad this soon?

What should I test next?

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Gas? someone else here on this forum ran out of gas and didn't check it. Thought he had a full tank. Fuel valve open? It is a possibility that the valves might need adjusting, but I don't know that is the cause of your no start. Is the start switch turned to on? Turn it off and on several times. What is that orange tubing? Do you have a remote fuel tank or using the one that came with the engine? Did you try the choke? Is the fuel filter dirty? Did you prime the engine by pulling on the starter cord several times before giving it a hard pull. Carburetor needle stuck? Gently tap on the bowl a couple times. Does the spark plug have spark. Just because you get a jolt from the wire doesn't mean your plug has spark. Did you try squirting some starter fluid?

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If it ran good before, the valves and ignition are prolly fine. These are very tough and reliable engines. The only thing you did to it was non use for a while and prolly still has the same fuel in the carb and fuel lines from the last time it ran.

The gas in the carb is prolly stale. The ethenol laced fuel nowdays has a rather short shelf life. The small amount of fuel in the carb and lines will go sour quicker that the fuel in the tank. On My Preddy bike, after sitting a month or so It doesn't want to start until I add some fresh fuel to the tank and open the drain valve on the carb bowl and drain out some fuel until fresh gas comes out. You can even see the difference in color and tell the fresh from the stale. And the smell is different too. The stale fuel is yellowish and the fresh is clear.

It's now starting. I posted too quickly.
When I re-mounted the engine & roller shaft bearings after changing the pulley, I put things out of line and it was dragging on the engine too much for a start.
My mounting methods are developing as I learn.
I use holes and elongated holes to mount the engine & roller shaft bearings.

Next time I make square tubing ready for mounting, I'm going to cut slots instead of drilling holes. In that way, I'll have more latitude on position. I'll drill a hole at each end, then cut out the metal between.

Although a bit dangerous, the bike is working acceptably now. Actually, my brakes need new disks and the clutch needs refinement, but I can, indeed, ride using the engine.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Congratulations on your repair!
I hope that you can tend to the brakes soon. Now that you can go fast, you'll want to be able to stop fast too.
Anyways... good job, and ride safe!