148cc lawnmower

GoldenMotor.com

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Ok guys, this isn't related to bikes, but where better to ask right?

So I got an old lawnmower laying around (it's probably about 10 years old). All I know is it's a 148cc briggs and stratton 4 stroke. Anyhow, I fueled it up with 25:1 fuel, and it ran like normal. I ran it for about 5 mins, before shutting it off. I tried to start it up again, and it wouldn't start. I left it til the next day, started up, again, ran for aoubt 5 mins before I shut it off, then same prob.

Could this mean to much oil? Should I up it to 50:1?

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hello? I am seeing you are not from here. Briggs and Straton built mostly 4-stroke engines thru their history. Please check and see where the crankcase fill is, see that the oil level is proper, and stop feeding that poor Briggs oil in its supper?

Take a pic and post if needed......look for oil fill and drains on the crankcase and be a Side Valve 4-stroke engine.

Mike

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
He's right, you don't put oil/gas in a four stroke. Clean it out, drain the oil, and put more oil in the crankcase, then fill the gas tank up with gas only(you might want to clean the tank out with a little gas first to get the oil out), maybe some fuel additive to clean out the carb, its going to be be dirty now that you've got oil in it. Might have to rebuild it to ever get it to run right again. Good luck and remember to find a manual to help you keep it running right.

This is most likely your engine or close to it.
450 Series | Push Mower | Engines | Briggs & Stratton

Last edited:

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Well I'll refuel it later, managed to get that other fuel out. So just oil up the fill holle thing?

Also, I searched my model numbers etc, nothing comes up.

Mower model: Victa VR 174A3
Engine: model: 92908 type: 5175-02 code: 84072004

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Yes there should be a yellow screw top for oil, don't know if its a dipstick or not. Most of these engines differ very little from year to year, so if you know for sure its a B&S 148cc, then the engine I posted's manual should be about the same. Look for how much oil it takes. 30w is usually the best, maybe something thicker in colder seasons, but I've only put heavier oil in a snowblower, during freezing temps, so 30w should be fine. Briggs has a great support team, so shoot them an email, if you have any specific problems, or looking for parts. Good Luck!

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Contacted them. I couldn't get a manual without a model number. Anyhow, how do you think these would go if it were mounted on a bike?

Also, it runs fine now. Once I get my manual I'll service it anyhow.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes there should be a yellow screw top for oil, don't know if its a dipstick or not. Most of these engines differ very little from year to year, so if you know for sure its a B&S 148cc, then the engine I posted's manual should be about the same. Look for how much oil it takes. 30w is usually the best, maybe something thicker in colder seasons, but I've only put heavier oil in a snowblower, during freezing temps, so 30w should be fine. Briggs has a great support team, so shoot them an email, if you have any specific problems, or looking for parts. Good Luck!

Not to go off topic, but you use THINNER oil when it's colder.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Running a two stroke mix in a four stroke will not really hurt it beyond fouling the plug, just drain the mix and add fresh straight gasoline to the tank.
Make sure the oil level is correct with sae 30wt. and run the thing.