different way to change fuel/air mix?

GoldenMotor.com

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I will add that the float adjustment is as touchy as many other things and a heavy hand will do more harm than good. With the "float method" you are adjusting the overall level tipped, not tipped, ect.
True, it is touchy. Too high and it leaks, too low and it starves. I don't think it's any more risky than shutting your fuel cock off or forgetting to turn it on though. IMO these engines aren't as sensitive to damage running lean as motors with tight clearance.

One thing I do suggest. Carefully measure the positions before adjusting so you can always get things back in case mixture wasn't your problem.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I wonder why so many resist this easy way to adjust mixture.
I wonder why so many resist the right way to adjust mixture?

In fact, in between my last post & this one, I went out to my garage & re-jetted my carb & took it to the bank, & then the beach & back!! (it runs perfect now!) ;)

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
& since that last post... I re-jetted my GFs bike (which is now running stellar) & I did more work on the build off bike... :D

Re-jetting is fun, quick & easy! ;)

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
Prasinos,

If you want to compensate for a lost smaller jet temporarily while you wait for a new one, what you want to do is add something that will give you less 'fire' per the given quantity of fuel mix entering the chamber. So there is nothing going on with the air fue mixtutr, you are just 'cutting' the gas to lower its octane rating, so the engine will run slower (and maybe rougher) because each explosion in the chamber is less powerful. Rather than extra 2 cycle oil, add a little kerosene to the tank. Start with just a little (1/4 cup), and keep adding until the engine runs rough and stop; add a little gas to smooth it out. But you will have less power too. Kerosene also does a nice job of blowing carbon out of the cylinder, and it won't hurt a thing in reasonable doses. Back in the 74 oil embargo, there was plenty of kerosene avaialable from the Standard Oil wholesaler, and it made the gas stretch for the low-compression engines on the ranch (generators, pumps, old pickups, etc) and saved gas for the newer cars and trucks - old trick my Dad had learned during WWII gas rationing. Adding Coleman fuel (white gas) or alcohol may cause erratic detonation, and I wouldn't do it. The right size jet will be the best fix in the end.