Getting rid of "Big Red"

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Oh! I think I may begin to understand this pain. Rat's lab is filling. Thirteen bikes and counting. Four with engines and two more on the stand. Somethings are going to have to find a new home. And this typed admission that I will have to sell off one of my creations; I find emotionally crushing!

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/ Lynn she only sells it if she has used it to build something herself. Personal service, you call she answers. Same or next day shipping every time I have shopped with her. And yes she has your axle.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I want to slow it down. Its top speed about 40mph as it sets right now. I want to make the top speed to be around 25mph.
You could put two or three more head gaskets on to lower the compression.

I am concerned about a 13 year old out ridding in traffic however...

My son at 13 simply didn't have the 'head' as it were to not treat it like a 'run it wide open all the time' toy with total disregard for what people in cars were doing on his playground.

At the very least have him read a drivers manual.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
You could put two or three more head gaskets on to lower the compression.

I am concerned about a 13 year old out ridding in traffic however...

My son at 13 simply didn't have the 'head' as it were to not treat it like a 'run it wide open all the time' toy with total disregard for what people in cars were doing on his playground.

At the very least have him read a drivers manual.
I never thought about adding gaskets. That would do it. I am concerned about his maturity at that age. But, I may turn it into a trike and keep it anyway.

Terry

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I went a couple different ways building trikes. One was a full size 26" cruiser frame and the other is a tadpole recumbent. I sold the cruiser a few years back but I still have the tadpole. The 26" cruiser wouldn't be any good at all for your back but the tadpole is built so you could put any seat you want on it. I'm not even gonna say what I'm using for a seat, It's embarrassing. (OK, So it's a large size kids car seat.) It's what I ride when my back is acting up. All I did was to join a go cart and a go ped. Add some peddles and it's a street legal motorized bicycle. I'll try to post a pic.
(It hits around 28mph by the way. I call it Tri-Baby.) The trike I sold I called The Widowmaker. It WAS a dangerous thing to ride.
fatdaddy.

Attachments

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Terry,
You've been around long enogh to remember that weird little trike I built a couple of years ago. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13591
It was a Trailmate designed for easy entry and exit. You just stepped sideways and sat down. It might take some searching but I'll bet you could find on. I sold mine to a member and he still has it.

Tom
I found the company web page: www.trailmate.com/cycleIntro.cfm They look pretty good. Your right, I probably could find a used one somewhere.

Terry

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Well, I have decided. I'll keep the bike and turn it into a trike. The way the bike is now I can only pedal with 1 foot. That is because my left knee doesn't bent far enough to allow pedaling. I'm going to replace the crank to fix that problem. The present crank is 7" (177.8mm). I found a 140mm crank. That should do the trick. To help with the back problems I'll get 1 of those gas shock type of a seat post. The trike kit as been ordered.

Terry

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Way over complicated (as is my practice, snork) but had this thought. A padded bench sort of seat that is suspended from a double set of "roll Bars" like a trapeze and using the seat tube, post and the vertical portion of the bars as a guide for vertical movement.

LOL, have side mirrors and hang fuzzy dice from the rear view mirror. (CB antenna and a flag post?)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well, you could use a Hammock Seat if you want really complicated ;-}

That is a pic of the new 'Classic Bicycles' calendar my wife got me for X-mas right next to me at my desk so I snapped a pic.
Heck, 2 birds with 1 stone since we are showing shop art too ;-}

Text about the bike.

I can't even picture getting on that thing and bending over to the handlebars but apparently you don't fatigued riding it.

Last edited: