Experienced, would like input

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I would love to build a motorized version of this (pictured bike).
However the drawback is, as I see it the acceleration and breaking are limited by the total weight of the rider + weight of the drive system. If you exceed that weight you will be rotating with the outer wheel.
So steep hills(without creeping) & fast stops would be impossable. Would be cool for shows & parades but other than that pretty much useless.

Any contrary input, as I would like to build one!

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Russell, Be a good conversation piece and art at the least, and if you motorized it, one could garnish bad and very quick injuries to both yourself and pedestrians...if it worked.

Seriously though...The ingenuity, creativity to create new types of transportation back then always amazes me. Think of what it took back in 1901 to build a motorized bike from nothing including the engine using crude tools and machines and castings. No CAD, CNC or tig welders back then. Nothing but wow for the men that built their ideas in the early days of transportation. That spirit lives here on this forum. Build on...

Zip

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I vote for the one with the airplane propeller!!

All kidding aside, if you could find an old Segway, you might be able to use the stability control to make it easier to not 'roll' within the outer loop...........

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
They're called mono wheels or mono cycles....there's videos on YouTube etc. you realize if you spin a top fast enough...and that things pretty big ,so even more so...you won't be able to e erg enough to change it. An example...hold a front rim ant tire by the axle and spin...turning gets harder fast as you increase the speed.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
As I remember and i could be wrong the inventor of the McLean Wheel was injured pretty bad in a accident in that or a similar contraption. I vote for propeller and a winged monocycle. For that matter, a flying motorized bike sounds downright fun too, one china girl for propeller and one for proper and fast runway speed using the back wheel.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Some good input, but no answers! Also wondering if a gyroscopic mechanisim could be incorperated to counter the acceleration/ breaking flaw?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Some good input, but no answers! Also wondering if a gyroscopic mechanisim could be incorperated to counter the acceleration/ breaking flaw?
All that's needed is a small-wheeled outrigger in front to prohibit over-rotation during braking. I see no reason why a mechanism couldn't be incorporated which would extend such an outrigger based on chassis-angle.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Do it.
But be careful and be aware there is most likely a REASON you don't see them around since it's clearly nothing new.
But just because it's not practical doesn't mean it can't be a hoot to build and play with.....

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
All that's needed is a small-wheeled outrigger in front to prohibit over-rotation during braking. I see no reason why a mechanism couldn't be incorporated which would extend such an outrigger based on chassis-angle.
I had thought of that also and have seen a few variations of thattype of setup. However "IHO " it takes away from from the whole look.

Secondly the braking wheel or skid would need to be far forward to keep the main wheel from lifting (similar to locking up your front brake) or at least losing traction & control in a quick stop.

Dosen't seem to be a good answer to the problem or the MONO-CYCLE would still be around today.

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Secondly the braking wheel or skid would need to be far forward to keep the main wheel from lifting (similar to locking up your front brake) or at least losing traction & control in a quick stop.
An anti-lock braking mechanism would alleviate that issue. Come to think of it, an anti-lock system would also eliminate the need for the outrigger. Anti-lock => anti-roll.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
An anti-lock braking mechanism would alleviate that issue. Come to think of it, an anti-lock system would also eliminate the need for the outrigger. Anti-lock => anti-roll.
I may be a bit slow on the uptake but don't see how that will help you make a quick stop, or fast acceleration?

I am not being sarcastic, as I would be very interseted over comming this problem.

THX Jim E

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I'd like to take out an insurance policy on you Russel old buddy..shouldn't matter either way if you need it or not...whatdaya say.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I'd like to take out an insurance policy on you Russel old buddy..shouldn't matter either way if you need it or not...whatdaya say.
I refuse to issue any more insurance policies on myself & make the payments. It seems to have become some kind of lottery that I cannot win!