Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Regarding the broken spokes. Start a separate thread. Stuff gets lost here. Also give more details... what is your wheel? When does it happen? What gauge are the spokes. How do you shift... fast or easing into gear as you match rpms with the throttle? Pictures is always good. No one can answer a question like that with so little information to go on.
SB

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Here's something I figured out as I was going at it... a long twist tie is a great thing for helping to thread the chain through the motor.. tie it firmly to the first link an feed the tie through where the drive sprocket is. When it comes out you can pull (gently) on it as you try to rotate the drive sprocket to pull the chain through. With a loop in the free end you can slide a screwdriver through the tie to pull on. The same twist tie is also great for helping pull the chain together (and hold it together) to find out where to break the chain and in keeping the ends close when putting in a master link.
I keep a few long ties stuffed in the tool kit in case I have to reconnect the chain away from the garage, or ever have to tie down a cable or anything.
I've also found a twist tie is great for holding the extra length of the clutch cable against the clutch arm so it doesn't stab me in the leg with every pass.
Check the garden section of your local hardware etc store for the gardening wire-tie that comes as a coil for tying up your plants. Handy stuff for a couple of bucks.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
sooo... this thread is HUGE... and I can't read 11 pages between now and when I'm supposed to meet with the dean.... and I have only my motorbike as transportation.... how do we quit breaking spokes? I'm shredding them with a Honda GX50 and shift kit!
There is the old motocross trick of ziptying your spokes where they cross.

atombomb232610

Sep 6, 2011
Milwaukee,Wi
In the start of this post it was suggested to replace your spark plug cap/boot. keep in mind if you use a cap as in the motorcycle type (usually ngk) they have a resistance rating somewhere around 1k. with a cdi this will change your timing. more resistance=less timing but a stronger spark. try using a standard automotive boot and connector as this is the way to lower your resistance and slightly advance the timing. high resistance will kill your ignition system (so will too low resistance but modern spark plugs have a good amount built into them.). most of your tuning will be done with an exhaust system. anyone that has a dirtbike can tell you the differance a expansion pipe and proper tuned exhaust can have. short exhaust (muffler close to the engine) equals a short power band that is torquey (good for people with shift kits or inclined driving conditions=hills and stuff). long exhaust will give you less initial torque but will smooth out high rpm running and will extend your powerband but lower overall torque and slightly increase overall horsepower. i have had the best luck with pocketbike expansion chambers (usually $30-$40 on ebay) and a sausage muffler ( small 2-4hp b&s muffler that ace hardware carries for $3.29) mounted at the end of the pipe. hers a pic of my build. genisis 29", 36t sprocket, port and polish, expansion pipe and removable muffler, custom tank, full motor teardown and rebuild before break in. including new gaskets and decking all pieces. i have hit 52mph on this bike. yes it was screaming like a banshee covered in acid and set on fire. that was within the first 100 miles and i have alittle over 400 miles on her now and it runs as good as new. http://motorbicycling.com/members/a...er-picture2489-yup-its-straight-pipe-i-am.jpg

bugnut

Aug 19, 2011
Alabama
Thanks for the info atombomb232610---My build is moving along but its so dang hard to get partsd here in Alabama ,have to pay double to have them shipped from west coast--Your bike sure looks as fast as you say -think ill look into that expansion pipe----thanks again much appreciated ----bugnut

twelvestringtex

Apr 22, 2011
Houston, TX
I'm definitely going to have to pick up a new exhaust pipe for my rig... I'm running a Honda GXH-50 through a Stage III, and a shift kit, with a 9-speed derailleur. Already have and aftermarket carb and air filter, which made a HUGE difference. also JB-welded the gearbox freewheel to make it a solid sprocket, then it sheared off the output key, so I JB'd it to the shaft, and the engager pissed me off, so I JB'd permanently into the engaged position. Now that I've Epoxied the **** out of anything made in china, it runs great! oh, also swaped out for a Staton clutch, as my Grubee clutch melted in the first 60 miles.

only thing that annoys me is that it doesn't want to go less than 25mph =P Highest speed so far was 38.5mph but I ran out of road, and had to slow down. too many potholes in this town (Houston, TX).

dakota47l1

Oct 2, 2011
st louis mo.
I have not used boat trailer grease. But I do use Mystik JT-G, they dont call it mystik for nothing. In fact I use so much I buy it by the bucket. I have had great luck with it.
i wonder if semi truck fifth wheel grease would work???i drive truck for a living and that stuff stays put!accept when you rub up against it!

ScreamingCruiser

Jul 12, 2011
Hampton,Va
There is a equipment store called "Northern Equipment" , they have a department in there under "go-carts" . In there I found parts that can apply to us MBers , such as heavy duty roller chains , sold in 10' lengths, #41-1,which fit both drive side sprockets nicely. Priced for only $14.00, so its like two for one! Also they have cables, throttles, and safety gear! A good place to go visit for your own experience, if the chain store is in your area. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers , so go ahead and pickup a catalog while you are visiting! Thanks.brnot

ScreamingCruiser

Jul 12, 2011
Hampton,Va
Check out wal-mart for something called slime. It is a before or after a flat product I think. I was on the run when I saw it. Didn't have much time to really check it out,sorry.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
There is a fix a flat equivalent for bicycles. Though, it takes just under two cans to get to the PSI I like in my aired tires.
Where can I find those fix a flat for bicycles? The ones at Walmart "slime" are for before you ride to prevent from having a flat. I want one that can fix a flat when I'm 10 miles away from home. I have a fear of getting a flat tire out on the road more than having engine issues. I can at least pedal home if it's an engine problem. I'm stuck like chuck with a flat tire.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I had to get rid of the pool of leftover slime that was in my tire from the other day. Not wanting to get it all over things, dump it in with the garbage or just pour it away (where I live the environment police would be on me in a heartbeat), I carefully poured it out into a half-jar of (clean) clumping cat litter. It worked like a charm, no liquid made it to the bottom of the jar, and there's a nice little lump in there. The same thing worked with catching a bit of gas out of the line when I went to change fuel lines, too.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Where can I find those fix a flat for bicycles? The ones at Walmart "slime" are for before you ride to prevent from having a flat. I want one that can fix a flat when I'm 10 miles away from home. I have a fear of getting a flat tire out on the road more than having engine issues. I can at least pedal home if it's an engine problem. I'm stuck like chuck with a flat tire.
Walmart - it looks like a can of fixaflat, but as big as a little Red Bull drink.

Ultra Bike Tire Sealer and Inflater 4.96