what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

epicboy

Nov 3, 2010
Agoura Hills, Ca
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

nice bro - never heard of that motor - i guess you learn something new everyday - sounds like you have a 4 smoker that acts more like a 2 smoker. I can't get up any hill unless i have good momentum and have the motor spinning really fast. But like i said i run a 36t. Great for high speed flats and no bueno for hills - lol

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

This is my results of 2 builds in 2 weeks. Rode em both this afternoon.

The Slanthead is a hillclimber, or good city commuter that easily pulls away from standstill without help. Maxes out about a bone rattling 35mph with the 41t.

The Sunn with the HS/chainbox is a highway cruiser. Needs pedal assist to start. Clutch don;t engage good till about 15 mph low throttle or 20mph hard throttle.

Getting bout 42 mph at about 7000 rpm. Has trouble with steep hills though.

Very quiet and smooth at all speeds.

Real smooth effortless cruise at 30-35 mph .

DSC_1403.JPG

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

nice bro - never heard of that motor - i guess you learn something new everyday - sounds like you have a 4 smoker that acts more like a 2 smoker. I can't get up any hill unless i have good momentum and have the motor spinning really fast. But like i said i run a 36t. Great for high speed flats and no bueno for hills - lol
I had a rarity on the old Tempus: a 38T. That, with a slightly tuned up engine, and I could actually do small hills at WOT. Steep grades were still pedal terrritory (or I'd dismount and walk, depending). I think it was from Pirate Cycles that I got it.

epicboy

Nov 3, 2010
Agoura Hills, Ca

wow that chrome cruiser is nice very nice - i can't seem to get my head around those lame gas tanks - something must be done -

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina

I agree that the Chrome Bike is shinny!!! Good looking MB!
I have the same Chrome engine kit, but with a chrome tank. That engine is on my first build. It is not a speed deamon, 30 mph, but it does climb hills like a champ. This coming from a 240 lb operator.
I want to build my OCC chopper, but I will only buy a Chrome engine to put on it. I wish there were engine high temp chrome paint out there.

What did I do to my MB today?
I pulled the rear wheel, and tightend the cone bearings, and then used GooGone to remove all the finger prints from the white walls. I also shortend the drive chain by one link to make it easier to adjust the tensioner.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

wow that chrome cruiser is nice very nice - i can't seem to get my head around those lame gas tanks - something must be done -
I hear ya about the tanks! I used some of that chrome door edge protector stuff from AutoZone, on the Sunn cruiser tank,great improvement over that ugly sharp edged seam.

My Chrome tank for the Micargi soiuld be delivered today. I'll use the chrome trim tape on it too. Pics to come soon.

Wayne Z

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago

Changed to upgraded front brake pads. I should be stopping on a dime now. Maybe I should go find out. Just another excuse to go out for a ride huh?

Jax2A

Nov 5, 2010
The LC, Ohio

This weekend I mounted up my Schwinn style springer... I'm not sure if I have it right though, I think I may need to fab up a spacer since the part the spring bolt threads into does not sit flat on the lock washer. I searched and searched with no luck for a close up picture of a properly installed one... can anybody like me to one?

Also spent time on painting my headlight and searching for a LED bulb array for it. And some time on derusting my seat hardware.

Oh yea, I may have wasted a set of handle bars intending to make a layback seatpost. I cut them in half and then realized the tube diameter was too big for the Columbia.

The old man always told me to measure before you cut... guess he was right.

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina

today i a few holes in my ADA filter. i think all the bad weather and riding these roads afterword took its toll on the filter element since its expose. put the stock but never been used filter on. gonna run it with it on for now:)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Rode with my friend Rick thru Waikiki, Diamond Head and on to Sandy Beach. Broke a clutch spring in Waikiki on the way back, so I had to walk the bike out of the district. Luckily, I was able to limp 3 miles home on "The White Lady", under MAJOR mechanical protesting from her. Rick's bike broke its throttle, so I gave him mine when I got home.
Rick's moving to South Carolina this Saturday. I'm gonna miss him. He'll be taking his 460-powered bike with him, so that's a good thing.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

Nothing yet.. Got another Newish bike, cant wait gunna make this one the quickest round town..hehe pink sliPs anyone!? Just kiddin but yeah it'll bE good when she's done won't leave much out..

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

I made what I consider a very much needed improvement to my clutch arm!
As everyone knows no matter how you adjust your cable stud on the motor every time you engage and dis-engage your clutch your gonna get rub!
Untill yesterday!
What I did was I cut my old stock arm off from my clutch shaft,went to the back door of my garage opened the door and chucked that sucker as far as I could into the woods,not 5 seconds after I heard my dog yelp (No connection?).
Then I ground down the old chinese weld and cut the head off from a 5/16"x
24x 2" bolt and weld-preped the cut off end!
Then I bent the bolt about 20 degrees and welded it to the clutch shaft at a slightly better angle than the stock arm was welded,now it follows the angle of the gear cover.
Then I threaded a 5/16" jam nut and rod end onto the "NEW 1/2" longer than stock ADJUSTABLE CLUTCH ARM".
Then I took an M8x 1.25x 30mm bolt and drilled a .125" hole length-wise through the bolt and counter-sunk the hex head to recieve the brass cable holder.
Then I assembled the whole thing together and it works SWEET! If I do say so myself!
Much easier pull!
The arm is now adjustable so now I can dial in the alignment to the cable stud on the motor! NO-RUB!
The cable bolt rides on the bearing so the cable lines up with the stud through-out the engage and dis-engage cycle! NO-RUB!
Did I mention that now my cable doesn't RUB!
Plus,Plus.Now I don't have to Monkey around with loosening the brass cable holder to tweak my clutch adjustment!
I just loosen the nyloc nut on the end of the cable bolt and then thread the jam nut a few turns and re-tighten the nyloc nut! DONE!!
Now, I can leave my third hand in my pocket!
This is my first proto-type of this!
If I get a good responce I might start making them for my peeps!
Any thought's?Give me your feed-back!
There's more pics in the Swap and Shop Thread.
Kip.
[email protected]

Attachments

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

yesterday i rode around, talked to a guy on an old Servi-Cycle (google it) and bought some metal and stuff for my latest bike.

finished the rear fender, after making new fender struts for it, and bent the stock exhaust pipe out as much as i could before it would split.

the pipe fits but will burn my shoe off, thanks to the way the flange is welded on an angle on the new pipes. this doesn't work for me.

my biturbo moped pipe should be here today.

i'll post pics after i get the front fender done. gonna try to finish it today, then gotta make the lighting system.

Ursus

Aug 12, 2010
NYC

Took my bike on its first trip. used it to go to work today. Speed tested it with a friends car. topped out at 30mph.. motor isn't even broken in yet. That's pretty good considering i weigh 280 =)

IamTheBear

Oct 6, 2010
north florida

new tire straight rednecked to hold the cns on today but went to the hardware store and saw Dan's blowbags on the shelf and giggled(snorked)

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

finally fixed my flat tire so im on the road again it was a pinch flat

thats about it i guess

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Haven't even got to look at my baby in 2 days! Came home yesterday and new BGF 50T rear sprocket, Harbor Frieght and first time Eastwood catalog was waiting for me! Really picked up my spirits. I have a little courier biz (do maybe 2 jobs a month) But caught a cool job delivering an airplane muffler from Hartford to Lufthansa @ Newark airport. Good $ gig. Traffic coming back over the GWB (George Washington Bridge) was slow due to construction. Got to watch some of the really great sunset reflected in the west facing sky scraper windows of Manhattan. Was truly awesome. Then got a call from a buddy. We got a lease on some factory space for next to nothing. Soon to have a real MB factory/ show room!!! (Read place to tinker and avoid real work) Most of the space will be used to actually make a living on endeavors far less insane then making and selling MBs but am an addict and ya know how we are. lol. Monkey can't sell no bananas!
Truth be told, I don't think I want to make it even close to a real biz. It is to much of a joy to sully making it a job. (sorry about the language. I seldom use the "j" word in mixed company)

new tire straight rednecked to hold the cns on today but went to the hardware store and saw Dan's blowbags on the shelf and giggled(snorked)
Har, lol Bear. (really did have to stifle a laugh and keep the mouth full of coffee off the key board)

Is my evil plan to corner the rubber muffler market! Which pretty much consists of just me. .flg.

Attachments

Last edited: