20" KTMc GP Socal Racer

GoldenMotor.com

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
This is the second build of this bike. The first time I took it to the races and it had every little problem you could have and it really seemed to be jinxed! None of the problems were related to the build, just murphys law I guess. I told myself I would never take it to the track again.
But Now I have cut off the front triangle I built for it last time and I have stretched the wheelbase and changed the fork rake along with other changes so it will be a new bike and hopefully wont be such a hastle next time I race it.
Since its kinda a rebuild it wont be so much work, I can reuse the engine mounts and most of the parts. This time I will use clip on bars and a full fairing so it will be a mini GP bike. The front fairing in the pics is too small and I have the right sized one ordered but it will be 4 weeks before it shows up.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Awesome build!!! Why is it every time I say to myself, no more non kit, non beach cruiser builds I come across a bike like this and HAVE to build one. Thanks for the inspiration, this is the first BMX build I really like.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Thanks guys. I ordered a bigger fairing for ysr50 (Same wheelbase and diameter as this build) and it came the other day. Im very happy with it so far so I have ordered the lower half of the fairing and the windshield that I was holding off on until I was sure this was gonna work.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Awesome build!!! Why is it every time I say to myself, no more non kit, non beach cruiser builds I come across a bike like this and HAVE to build one. Thanks for the inspiration, this is the first BMX build I really like.
Heres the 20 BMXer I built for my Son that he races in the Expert China Girl Class......

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Made some progress, all the fairing parts came and I made the upper fairing mounts, I still have to make the lower mounts. The fairing is about 1/2 the weight I thought it would be.
I just started on the fuel tank and seat/fender mounts, the seat is higher in the pic than it will be when finished. I may scrap the tank seat/fender for a one piece tank/seat/fender that's made by the same company that makes the fairng but its kinda pricey.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Nice work there! Really fits the bike well. Normally I would not be into the motorcycle look but for race bike it's a good look! That lil thing must scoot.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Almost time to tear it all apart and build the engine, then final assembly of the bike. You can see how much I had to cut off the fairing to get enuff pedal clearance.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Nice job on the Repsol livery Bill! That has always been one of my favorites and it works with the KTM orange theme as well. Seeing how this bmx has shaped up give me motivation to build the motorbicycle I was thinking about building that retains its pedals, my Motobike shed its pedals when I realized I'd need a super wide crankset to clear the trans, and I was concerned about digging pedal when leaning. Your frame mod moving the engine away from the pedals solves the engine width problem cleverly.

JohnDoe

Jul 13, 2016
East Texas....
If I may ask, I know that it is a BMX bike but is it a youth BMX? It seems kinda short for racing, or with out knee sliders at least. Speaking of which how tall is it from the seat to the ground? 28inchs or so? Also are you going to be doing something for laying down behind the wind screen or is it just for looks?

Sincerely,
John Doe

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Thanks 16v4, the pedal arm on the right side is widened to clear the case but the pedal arms are shorter to get ground clearance.

John Doe, It was a 24" adult BMXer that I lengthened the front triangle for a longer wheelbase and increased the front rake and went to 20" wheels. The fairing will be used and is easy to duck behind. The seat happens to be 28" at the moment but may change if needed the first time on the track. And none of the bike is for looks, Im building it to race in the Socal Motor Bicycle Racing series to replace my current race bike.

Last edited: