A Fantastic Twin-Engined Rear Friction Drive

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Another member got me thinking after I posted about another thread elsewhere.

There are very few potential MB fan members who might be interested in front drive. Nevertheless some guys, myself included, would mount their engine up front.

In my other thread I mentioned how you could modify a rear friction drive assembly to become a FRONT friction drive. Basically you just need to drill engine mounting holes directly on the other side of the engine. After drilling for U-bracket and rear support strut holes, your modified friction drive kit will fit either front or rear tire. Then everything bolts in place and a shorter throttle cable completes the install.

HOWEVER, I just had an epiphany!!!

Since there are now engine mounting holes on BOTH SIDES of the engine housing..

THEN YOU CAN MOUNT TWO ENGINES ON THE SAME REAR FRICTION DRIVE ASSEMBLY!!!

However, the right-side engine needs reversed-rotation. This can be accomplished in at least two ways:

A reverse-rotation clutch could be mounted and somehow adapted to the lengthened driveshaft on the right side.

Some CCW engines such as the GP460 engine can be modified to run clockwise. Then the motor would bolt on and mate directly to the lengthened driveshaft. The clutch drum and shaft on the right side could be welded together to prevent loosening. ORRR, the drum could be welded shut; then IT and the modified shaft could be machined for left-hand threads to prevent loosening.

The "ace-in-the-hole" is Staton's adaptor that they use for his expensive dual-engine rear gearbox. If this vendor sells this adaptor separately and reasonably, this would also be an option.

This is Staton's dual-engine option:eBay

My idea would cost MUCH MUCH less and installs on YOUR bicycle.

To have TWO ENGINES driving ONE friction roller would be AWESOME!!

Does anyone else have any ideas to mate that right-side second engine? Unsure if throttles have to be synchronized, maybe not precisely.