Has anyone used a engine with the internal cdi?

GoldenMotor.com

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Not fantastic feedback score?
It doesn't say if it's 40mm or 38mm crank?
I'd be wary, as in I'd wonder how well balanced, how good the bearings are ect?
Price is reasonable.
But very little info.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Im not in need of one I was wonder if it was some sort of or similar to a grubee super rat I think its called.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It would give an engine an 'old-time' look. Especially if you could get an oval cylinder and head. That wouldn't be obvious, though, to casual lookers. But I'd like to have something like that on my bike.

But I wonder if the possible downside, e.g.; expensive and hard to find replacements, outweigh this one advantaqe.

Or are there other advantages?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have no personal experience with it but I've read/heard that there were some overheating problems with that integral CDI concept. The magneto cover was drilled for air cooling but even so they reportedly were prone to premature failure. The idea was abandoned. Makes me wonder if someone didn't buy up the unsold extras and are now selling them. Just a guess on my part though based, as I said, on no experience.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm with 2door on this. I've worked on two engines with the internal CDI and both had spark issues. It was extremely hard to find replacement parts for the ignition. One we bought a new coil used from ebay and the other was swapped for a conventional engine.
I have never heard anything but negative reports on the built-in CDI engine so be careful.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'd say it just make sense to have the electronics as far away from the heat as possible.

Although what I worked on recently is not a motor bike engine, but instead a old Coleman Generator that has a Chinese engine with the pointless systems electronics built into the epoxy next to the lamination on the magneto it is the same idea.

The testing for the OHMs on the coils measured good, but for the electronics you have no access to the pointless switching circuit. So you throw the whole thing out and buy all new.

Lucky on Ebay I found a new part that was the same, and did not pay $42 to the company that bought up the old Coleman stuff. It all comes from China anyway so I paid $25 for the part.

MT

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I like the idea- it's just a coil of wires, isn't it?

If it saves weight- the larger corporate landscape will kill it-
can't be saving weight and saving gasoline can we?

no- have you seen a smaller plastic tank yet that fits on a bike frame?
Nope- only pocket bikes can have 'em!

What YOU want is a big GALLON tank to carry more flammable weight!
with that same HEAVY vented metal cap, they used to put on model-T hot rods
You'll need bigger wheels and tires and a heavier frame

Anyone ever see a return of the under bar tank for a lighter traditional diamond ten speed frame?

nope

They still list the part- and at only $15- just never, ever in stock
if it saves weight- they'll kill it- whether it works or not.

take it from an old old bike person.....

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
2DOORS right on the money. Got buddy that has one and it run really strong because the transferports are a lot like the TIGHTCASE (starfire) but the CDI overheats and shuts down. Its got one of those breakers in it like a hair dryer when it gets too HOT it shuts down and that's where you sit it until it cools down.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Speaking of the cdi, HD I know you build them and I've made a few my self but what we need is to develop a better magneto to get more spark. If we can get a little more to the CdI it should make a diffenence.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I have two of these GT-5 SR bottom ends. I used CR Machine stage 2 PK-80 Top End Kit 80cc with the 6.0 head. I had to use the Dac;s 8.0 head cylinder studs. The other GT-5SR bottom end is just to have an extra internal cdi and mag, just in case.